Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darren23
Paper Tape
Views: 10,828
Message 1 of 8

S300 - Battery not charging [SOLVED!]

I have a Lenovo S300 notebook. I got it about two years ago and used it very little. I stored it for almost two years and I recently took it out of the box. Everything works great with both Windows7 and Ubuntu running great, except that the battery seems to be dead. Either on Windows or linux there is no charging icon and it seems that the battery is inserted properly but not charging. I tried all the acpi stuff off as noted on various threads, but the problem is that the laptop dont even charge when it is off (which it should). No indication light, no juice inside the battery (tried to enter bios with the battery only but no go). It generaly responds like it is a dead battery.

When I stored it the battery was half full and it stayed like that for almost two years (never used it since). So it is practicaly new machine. 

I am still "charging" (more correct I have the S300 off, plugged in power with the battery in place, which supossedly should charge) for over 4 hours now with the thought that the battery might need (?) 6-8 hours to fully charge. This is a high hope of course.

Any info and help is highly appreciated.

darren23
Paper Tape
Views: 10,776
Message 2 of 8

Re: S300 - Battery not charging

Its still being plugged for over 16 hours and everything still looks dead. No charging whatsoever, no light on the laptop while off. Is the battery completely dead or is there anything I can do?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 10,770
Message 3 of 8

Hi Darren23,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with battey not charging in your Lenovo S300 laptop.

Remove the battery and connect only adapter and check if the system powers on, this might be issue with the battery if the system in under warranty please contact the Lenovo technical support for the replacement of the battery, or you can also visit the nearest service center.

Click here to open a link where you can select the country and get the exact contact support number. I’m sure they will be a great help.

Hope this helps. Do post back if the issue persists!

Best regards,       

Ashwin. S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

darren23
Paper Tape
Views: 10,762
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the help and info. I think I am on to something now. Browsing through the forum I saw many batteries seem to have a lock feature that the Lenovo power management handles. I used the driver under windows and it showed the status of my battery as bad. I didnt tried the reset gauge since it supposedly fully charges the battery, while my battery cannot be charged at all. So I opted and tried the power saver feature instead the full power one on the basic panel and guess what..  the charging light came on! If I put it back to full power the light goes off. 

I realised that I somehow unlocked the battery and now it has to be charged properly, maybe 6-8 hours..  no matter what, the charging light is on so I will leave it at that and see how it goes in a few hours. Hopefuly I will get some battery after all, which is not bad for me since I use the batteries as handy PSU's in case of a blackout. So even with 5 minutes runtime I will be just delighted. Smiley Happy It was strange though and I was just about to label the battery dead and to my bad luck the warranty is over by a couple monthsso I couldnt get a replacement for free. Lucky for me I still had a copy of windows installed on it since all my machines are Ubuntu based (this one was just a leftover from my previous windows life!! haha). I need to see if I can somehow run the power manager from inside linux through wine if this issue ever occurs again. 

I will keep you posted when I get a final view on this whole issue.

darren23
Paper Tape
Views: 10,744
Message 5 of 8

My problem is finally solved. The problem was the lock feature that lenovo battery kicked in when being out of use for some period of time. This also relieved me as well as giving me second thoughts on this.

I finally have a working battery, no problem on that. Now some backthought.. I purchased this laptop with Free DOS, having no GUI operating system. Back then I was still using Windows so it came natural to install Windows 7 on that machine as well as Ubuntu 12.04. If I hadnt used Windows, and I was using this laptop with only Ubuntu and I stored this laptop for over a year and a half, I would try to use it again and I would have a dead battery. And I mean, completely dead, unuseful in any kind battery. If I didnt waste two days browsing forums regarding battery issues, only to find a Windows only program that has this unlock feature (and found this by accidental link) I would as well had that battery thrown away.

WHY is Lenovo making this hook up with Microsoft a necessity? I mean it is totaly stupid to have the demand to install Windows and run this program to use the battery after "storage conditions". I can uderstand and I accept that this feature "benefits" the battery on some way. But wait a minute. I have also stored an ACER D270 on the same time, same day and their battery had no lock issues whatsoever. Charged it right out of the box after the same storage time, it charged (took 5 hours to fully pack) and it gave a runtime test of 6-7 hours in internet use. I mean, ACER dont really care to "protect" the customer and dont lock their batteries? The targetting user group is the same, on entry level machines, so that means (no offense) inexperienced users that they know one thing... either it works or is doesnt. So it would be "normal" for them to assume the battery dead and purchase a new one. Ok maybe not all but I would assume a 70% of everyday user would do so.

This Microsoft dependency on regard of Lenovo leaves me on cold water, and definitelly keeps me away from a future Lenovo purchase again. The same goes for recommending them on my friends/relatives/known people circle. It may "sell" as a product protection feature, but there should be a warning sign at least on the package to address this issue. Someone that got this machine (or any Lenovo with Free Dos) might be good to consider that he/she wont install Windows but something else. How this protection policy helps them? Oh ok, I know, Lenovo service centers. But if being lucky like me and the warranty is over..  then it is money out of a pocket to fix this issue, whether as simple as unlocking or even worse in purchasing a new battery. 

Like I said, a CD with a Windows and Linux battery unlock program (or a label/sticker with a link to a site to download) would have me praising this protection feature. But not like this.

I hope all the above messages to help other users that have the same/similar issue with their Lenovo laptops.

compuzoneciber
What's DOS?
Views: 10,610
Message 6 of 8

hi i have the same problem and not find the solution, please help me whit this idont find the program for unlock the battery my progress is led indicator battery is on but dont charging yet if you please send link for download the program i very apreciated thanks

CCestaro
What's DOS?
Views: 9,829
Message 7 of 8

Hi my S300  battery stopped working but for some reasons the laptop does not switch on even if the power cord is plugged in.

The led flashes in red. But the Laptop does not switch on.  Can you please help?

liyen
What's DOS?
Views: 2,356
Message 8 of 8

Please share the Windows only program that you used to unlocked the battery...

I'm facing the same issue, fail to find a working program to unlocked the battery.

Please help...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors