Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Employee
Views: 3,167
Message 11 of 31

Re: S415 Touch wifi issue

Hi heatpipe & lellis1959,

Thanks for posting back. as i read further on i understand that "heatpipe"has a Linksys Riouter. I was wondering if "lellis1959" has the same one too?

I did some further checks and found It's well-known a few routers have incompatibility issue with IGRS. IGRS is now a standard international protocol. In this case, coul you try try the following steps below.

1. Download the latest from the Lenovo support site.

2. Uninstall the current driver, with deleting the driver software and restart the machine.

3. Install the latest driver from Intel.

4. Disable the UPNP function in the Wireless Router Web Configuration, save and restart the router.

5. Establish a new wireless connection from the Lenovo machine to the router.

Do post back your results.

Regards
sgcloud
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,153
Message 12 of 31

Hi Nine,

Just wanted to tell you that the S415 that i purchased on Tuesday 02/11/14 had the same issues. I downloaded the newer driver. uninstalled the old one, then had to manually install the new onw and its been good ever since. Thanks, now if someone could have told me that the Y560 i5 boards didnt support the i7 quads then i wouldnt have wasted my money on a I7-820qmSmiley Sad

Funny the tech did tell me that the board in my Y560 would support the cpu, even went so far as to look up the serial number Smiley Sad(

Former Employee
Views: 3,143
Message 13 of 31

Hi sgcloud,

Thanks for posting your feed and solution. This would be really great for the those customers affected to follow the steps you took.

Thanks for posting :-)
heatpipe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,136
Message 14 of 31

Nine,

First, thank you for answering so promptly.

I tried disabling upnp but I still could not connect.  I should have been more clear in my description of the problem, however, so apologies.  My router is a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite.  The Linksys EA4500 is only functioning as an access point.  Linksys offers a 'Bridge Mode' setting for this purpose.  While in this mode, the DHCP server is off, the firewall is off, and other router services such as upnp are all off. 

I've also tried swapping out the edgerouter and just using the EA4500 functioning as a router and access point (I tried with upnp both on and off).  I can still reproduce the same problem with 'Wireless-G' being the only way I can connect. 

A friend came over with his Lenovo G500.  He experienced the exact same problem.  Back at his place we both experience the same problem on his Comcast supplied router/access point (manufacturer/model unknown).  He too needed to explicitly set his router to 802.11g mode in order for both of us to connect.

I manually uninstalled the Microsoft driver and installed the driver in the support page for the S415.  I can confirm this driver is the following:

Provider: Broadcom

Date: 8/6/2013

Version: 6.30.223.143

For what it's worth, I have a wide variety of wireless devices in the house (ipod, ipad, nexus tablets, samsung note 2/3 phones, samsung ativ tablet, surface 2 pro, various usb wifi adapters, wii, and xbox) whose chipsets vary from Broadcom, Intel, Marvel, and Realtek.  None of them have connection problems except for the Broadcom in the S415.  With so many devices that use/need the extra bandwidth provided by 802.11n, I shouldn't have to reduce my access point to 802.11g. 

Any other suggestions?

lellis1959
Paper Tape
Views: 3,091
Message 15 of 31

Hello.  Well, I manually installed the correct driver, and also disabled the UPNP function on the router (Netgear router) to no avail.

It's quite random . . . it can happen several times within a 5 minute period, then may not happen again for a few hours.  It's irritating as crap, gotta say.  And, as with others, I have a number of other wifi enabled devices connecting to that router and do not have this problem with ANY of them.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.  Really regretting buying this laptop at this moment.

sgcloud
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,079
Message 16 of 31

After a few hour delay the laptop started dropping the internet again. I am disconcerted by the lack of a resolution to this issue, as i am contemplating taking Best Buy up on thier 14 day no question return policy. I did see the same unit at TigerDirect, with wiondows 8.1 installed and around $100 more. When i asked the tech what the difference was he said their model  "newer"..... a revision perhaps? Anyway, it saddens me that with such models as the G575, and the Y560 under my roof that i once again have failed in finding a name brand I can trust to do the right thing no matter way the cost.

heatpipe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,050
Message 17 of 31

I just got off the phone with Lenovo support.  What worked was manually installing an older driver:

Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 3/14/2012

Driver Version: 5.100.245.200

I didn't know which of the "incompatible" drivers to choose from so it was good Lenovo support was able to confirm it was the 4321.

lellis1959
Paper Tape
Views: 3,039
Message 18 of 31

heatpipe, where did you find that driver to download it???  I don't see it listed when I pull up drivers for the S415.

heatpipe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,023
Message 19 of 31

I spoke too soon.  While I can now connect at 72Mbps, the actual throughput is abysmal (~10Mbps), and I lose packets.  So this is still an issue.  I hope someone in support is still watching this thread.

@lellis1959 - I'll assume you can navigate your way through this:

Device Manger : Network Adapters : Broadcom ... Wi-Fi Adapter : Properties (via right click) : Update Driver : Browse my computer for driver software : Let me pick from a list ... : uncheck 'Show compatible hardware' : (on the left) scroll down to Broadcom : (on the right) choose 'Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter

Hopefully you have better luck, lellis.

heatpipe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,018
Message 20 of 31

I've found a partial solution that allows me to keep my access point in mixed mode (so my other clients can connect at 802.11n speeds) while enabling the S415 to connect at 802.11g speed.

I installed the latest driver in the driver support page (version: 6.30.223.143).  In the Advanced tab of the Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter Properties, I set WMM to 'Disabled'.  I've been streaming Olympics coverage via my HDHomerun Prime tuner for the past hour, and not a single hiccup. 

It's not the 72Mbps I should be getting (since WMM is disabled) but at least it's a connection.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors