05-26-2008

New York, New York

6 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 5

Speakers

2008-05-26, 3:00 AM
There seems to be something wrong with my speakers. They seem to be wired incorrectly. I'm not getting any sound on my left speaker, no matter what I try (Stereo, turning Dolby off, etc.), and it seems the subwoofer on the bottom was wired to act as the left speaker. I figured this out by using the speaker test, and when the left speaker's supposed to sound off I hear the woofer responding instead.

Why are my speakers wired like this? Does anybody else have this problem?
Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Speakers

2008-05-26, 9:02 AM
Try reinstalling driver from Lenovo and if not resolved the issue - from Realtek itself.
//help will save the world
Options

81 Posts

03-28-2008

Clinton, NY

548 Signins

6864 Page Views

• Views: 6864
  • Message 3 of 5

2008-05-26, 12:31 PM
This is a known issue (previously addressed in these forums). The speakers are good, the sound "problem" is an image issue. The sound appears to be coming from the right side only. The left side is actually working. This is an issue with the physical placement of the sub. No driver to fix that. We have hinted to Lenovo that a possible fix is to address the volume level or frequency response of the sub. No word back. Supposedly someone (Realtek?) is working on the situation.

Here is an earlier post from me:

Just curious as to whether this "sound image issue" is being addressed by the engineers yet. As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, the speakers are actually working, it's apparently the volume level and/or frequency range of the sub that is causing the sound to be heard coming from the right only. My Y510 was with the Lenovo depot in Texas for 3 weeks only to be told that there is nothing wrong but they did agree that the sound "appears' to be unbalanced to the right. Supposedly the engineers were going to work on the issue.

Here is a quote that was on the paper that was sent back to me with my notebook:

'"Left and right speaker output is good. Placement and volume level of the subwoofer is creating an image issue which cannot be resolved at this time."

This quote is from Repair Technician Steve. Hope this answers questions out there. Unfortunately it doesn't help the unbalanced sound issue.'

Here is an earlier post from BrunoB:

I also called to Lenovo's support line. When I told him the problem he already knew what I was talking about. He said that the manufacturer (I guess he meant Realtek) was working on a driver patch and that we are going to have to wait for this. He gave me no estimated time. He suggested to visit the support site periodically to check for the patch. They should at least send you an email when the update arrives.

Hope it doesn't take too much time.

BrunoB
Beer... It does a body good!
Options

3 Posts

05-26-2008

New York, New York

6 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-05-30, 18:37 PM
Yeah, I had to hurt my ears to figure this out, but the subwoofer speaker accounts for both the left and right speaker, meaning it outputs for both the left and right speakers. I'd wish it was a real subwoofer that only handled the bass portions.
Options

2 Posts

06-03-2008

Yorktown Heights, NY

5 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 5 of 5

2008-06-03, 16:03 PM
No improvement after installing latest device driver (V1.94) from Realtek web site, Vista_R194.zip.   In Vista, showing driver version 6.0.1.5628, 5/20/2008.

It's a sham that this small speaker placement / device driver problem ruins the customer's experience with the Y510 ideaPad, which is otherwise great.

Considering that this problem was reported by seiengineer10 back in March, and also replied to by Mark_Lenovo, a fix should have been in place by now from Lenovo.
The front-line call center folks should also be more alerted to this problem.  In my own case, it took 4 calls to get the correct answer and the key phrase "speaker sound image problem with the subwoofer on the bottom right hand side".

Message Edited by mtsao on 06-03-2008 09:13 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms