Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 342
Message 11 of 14

Re: Teenage hacking

I think you just need to keep the supervisor password enabled but leave the HDD password off. Just make sure that the ATA HDD boots first in the order and put the anything that says USB and CD to the last of the list. To me it seems like HDD enabled password is basically the same as power on password if the computer is configured to boot to HDD first. As for Windows 7, you can even restrict a standard user to the same level as a guest user by running lusrmgr.msc on the start menu search bar, and the change the account group membership from the "users" group to the "guests" group. Also from lusrmgr.msc window, you can set a password to the "built-in" administrator account so even if one manages to enable the built-in account, he/she won't be able to access it.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ConcernedParent
What's DOS?
Views: 311
Message 12 of 14

I've set the Supervisor Password and re-ordered the boot priorities so that ATA HDD is the first one.  But even with the Supervisor password set, can't he just use the F12 key and re-order the boot priorities?  Thanks.  CP

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 294
Message 13 of 14

You're absolutely right. I tested this with my Y470 and sure enough you can still BOOT to CD rom even if the setup (administrator) password is active! Does your BIOS have a master and user password. I haven't tested this, but if you try to set a master (make this the same as the adminstrator password) HDD password and then set a different password for the "user" password, are you able to boot to HDD with the "user" password? If yes, can you also enter the F12 boot menu with only the "user" not the "master" password?

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Spazmic
Punch Card
Views: 257
Message 14 of 14

Bios password is useless. It is also easily bypassable by software and/or hardware manipulations. 

I've been a teenager and I do know how he's feeling. It is better to have a teen playing with computers than one who does illegal activities. Teenagers are always mad at everything. If they do not have something to put their anger on, they will just go bad.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors