Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NvrAgainLenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 17,448
Message 1 of 56

The BIG lie about the battery life of S210

I bought my unit beginning of October 2013 and have had problems with the battery ever since.

Lenovo falsely gives the battery life as up to 6 hours. A BIG lie!

The battery has never lasted more than 1 1/2 hours on regular usage ie. no internet, no videos.

I received a replacement battery this past Thursday and after testing it, found out it has the very same longevity of up to 1 1/2  hours ONLY.  VERY appalling!!

And, on top of it all,  even when the laptop is off, the battery for some reason is being consumed. When I charge it before going to bed, it shows as being 100% charged, and in the morning, it shows as 90%. How can this be?

And also, when in usage at a charging of 100% (2h 45min), after about 10-15 mins, it shows 89% (1 h 25 mins).

Again, how is this possible, Lenovo??!!

My old Ipod Touch of 2009 has a much longer battery life! It still charges to last a period of up to a week even with watching over 5 movies each lasting arond 1130 mins, and listening to music.

If anyone is considering this model, I´d seriously advise againss it - it comes with way too many nerve wreckiing negatives eg. a very, very short battery life,  and also keyboard issues.

nishant
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 17,253
Message 2 of 56

Re: The BIG lie about the battery life of S210

Completely agree. I thought that this was because I had the i3 version (which is hardly marketed), and that the Celeron versions had better battery life, but a couple of colleagues bought the Celeron versions of the S210T and the battery lasts about 1.5 hours on normal usage, and the marketed time is supposed to be 5-6 hours.  o_O

Also agree with the statement above that the battery drains even when the laptop is off, and also that it hardly has any stand by time when on sleep, which is super surprising even for a low end Lenovo.

And nowhere on the internet nor on Lenovo support sites can I find a replacement 4 or 6 cell battery for this model. Looks like I'm stuck with the crappy 3 cell one that comes with it forever.

nishant
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 17,270
Message 3 of 56

I've searched for days in vain for a 6 cell or a 9 cell battery (ready to settle even for a 4 cell one now if available, even for the slight extra juice!) for my Lenovo S210T touchscreen IdeaPad.

The advertised battery life for this entry level ultrabook was 5-6 hours under normal usage, but this is quite a blatant lie. Even with normal usage, or even when just kept aside without using, the average battery life of this 11.6" notebook is only around 1.5 hours, 2 at the *max*.

Somebody, *anybody* please let me know where I can get a 4, 6 or a 9 cell battery for the IdeaPad S210T please?! (preferably 6 cell?)

I'm kinda desperate. I'm a student and can't really afford to get another laptop only because this one's battery life is so unbelievable

Much thanks and cheers!

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in. Implied profanity edited.

NvrAgainLenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 17,237
Message 4 of 56

I have the Touch version as well.

As it seems, Lenovo has absolutely no intention of resolving the issue with the battery. They intentionally give a false timeframe of the battery life to fool people into choosing their product over other manufacturers with the same specs but with lower (correctly given lower) battery life.

I contacted them again after the battery replacement since the new battery had the very same fault of lasting  curiously only 1.5 hrs and got the below reply from the German support.

Apparently, anyone buying Lenovo products knows not much about computers that is why I just couln´t know that the brightness of the display and attached peripherals are what significantly eats up the battery life :-) .  Incredible!
Basically, this laptop is made to be used when off. The only peripheral I myself have used so far is my USB surfstick.

I didnt want to translate it myself for Lenovo not to argue that I illfully transated it.

It´s incredible how Lenovo expects people to get satisfied with a battery life of 1.5 hrs. espcially when they as the manufaturer give it as lasting 6 hrs.

When charged full at 100% I get 2, 45 hrs. then after about 10 mins., it says 89 sometimes 82% (1, 25 minutes), and ca. 40-50 minutes later, I get a system pop up saying only 10% remaining, and bang, it goes off. How on earth this can be is beyond me!

Maybe more people should come forward  and we all collctively send in a complaint to Lenovo. As it seems no just the battery life is the only fault with this serie. I´ve seen a number of complaints about other malfunctions.

I´m not sure but I think whilst doing a frantic search about a month or so ago, I came a cross a German review site that mentioned 4 and 6 cell batteries. I didn´tt pay much attention to it as I thought after just, then a month, I shouldn´t be spending more money on a component the manufactuer should provide to me fault free.

It´s a shame that Lenovo didn´t  have any info on their website about it.

Sent:09 December 2013 07:21:51
To: 

vielen Dank für Ihre Mitteilung.

Beachten Sie bitte, dass die Angaben zur Akkulaufzeit unter Optimalbedingungen ermittelt wurden. Eindeutig kann die Laufzeit nicht angegeben werden, da Sie von diversen Faktoren abhängt (z.B. der Einstellung der Displayhelligkeit, ob das Notebook oft auf die Festplatte zugreift bzw. ob externe Peripherie verwendet wird, etc.) Alle diese Funktionen entziehen dem Akku abhängig von der individuellen Verwendung Energie. Ebenso findet eine Akkuentladung im Ruhe- oder Energiesparmodus von Windows statt.

Bei weiteren Fragen wenden Sie sich bitte an den technischen Support unter der Rufnummer 01805 / 366 869 (0,14 €/Min aus dem dt. Festnetz, Mobilfunk max. 0,42 €/Min). Sie erreichen Ihre Service Hotline Montag bis Freitag zwischen 9 und 18 Uhr.

Ich wünsche Ihnen einen schönen Tag.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

MEDION AG

Team Korrespondenz

MEDION AG
Vorstand: Gerd Brachmann (Vorsitzender),
Christian Eigen (stellv. Vorsitzender).
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Rudolf Stützle.
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Essen
AG Essen HRB 132 74
Ust.-ID  DE812543382

jservs7
Paper Tape
Views: 17,170
Message 5 of 56

For the love of humanity.... PLEASEEEEEEEEE RELEASE A BETTER BATTERY!!! This has been one of the things that has totally make me start to regret me purchasing this thing. (That and the heat the 3217u processor gives off when I play even the least graphic-intense games like Plants vs Zombies Smiley Frustrated)

I always use the Balanced power plan and I set my Intel graphics options to use less power when it's on battery. No big difference.

It feels like Lenovo didn't even bother putting this model through proper testing before it was released. Smiley Mad

I am hoping at least a 3rd party company steps up since this model seems like it just won't have any support.

NvrAgainLenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 17,162
Message 6 of 56

"For the love of humanity.... PLEASEEEEEEEEE RELEASE A BETTER BATTERY!!!"

INDEED!! I couldn't´t agree more!!

It´s about time that Lenovo either recalls this model OR issue a voucher to buy portable external batteries from a third party OR agrees to offer a 3-4 years warranty on it.

Because when you calculate the hours lost from the allegedly 6 hours it is to last - in my case 4.5 hours per use , it doesn't´t just sum up to months and months of loss of valuable usage time, but also to heaps of headache  and frustration due not being able to work away from a socket with an allegedly ultra portable device since you´re tied down to the socket.

Lenovo, It´s about time you take responsibility for your error!!!!!!!!!

jservs7
Paper Tape
Views: 17,152
Message 7 of 56

I get a little over 2.5 hours max battery and that's not even with heavy usage. Just leaving the computer in idle and having it go to sleep.

I guess we're just 1 of the 10 people who bought this laptop and Lenovo is basically telling us to live with it. Smiley Mad

error46146
What's DOS?
Views: 17,017
Message 8 of 56

The battery takes forever and some more to charge on mine.. I plugged it in for almost 24 hours with the computer fully shut off, and it charged from 15% to 54%... how long does it take for a full charge??

It also charges ONLY when the laptop is off.. the battery level stays put when the laptop is powered on. 

nishant
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 17,006
Message 9 of 56

Nah, then you should claim warranty either with the battery (first), and if not resolved, with the laptop. Mine charges pretty fast, just a couple of hours max for a full charge.

Still super disappointed with the ~1.5 hours battery life on normal usage though. And still tired of hunting for a 3rd party/official 4/6/9 cell battery for this.

Cheers.
abrakadabra
Paper Tape
Views: 16,944
Message 10 of 56

I completely agree:
I am not novice to the use of laptops, so with full responsibility that the balanced mode battery runs ONLY just over two hours (brightness 60%, Wifi, incomplete CPU load)
My capacity battery - 24Wh / 3Cell

Our model Lenovo S210 compatible battery type L12C3A01, L12M3A01, L12S3F01, but they are weak, as the most powerful of them has a capacity of 36Wh.
This is a real travesty - installed on a normal balanced laptop  such a weak battery.
Due to such a weak battery users chained to a wall outlet, and therefore can not be taking this laptop to country walks and hikes. Man Sad

Dear manufacturers, release, please POWERFUL normal battery for Lenovo S210!!!
I think my request to join the majority of users of this wonderful laptop.

If someone knows where you can buy a more powerful battery for Lenovo S210 - please write!

I'm not looking for a "super slimline" laptop for little girls, I need a reliable laptop with a normal battery life!

Top Kudoed Authors