Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-09-2011

Berlin

2 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1 of 2

U160 - Fresh WIN7 installation

2011-12-09, 23:23 PM

Hi,

Well ive had a lot of fun with my U160 (i5) 0894 IdeaPad, at least untill my HDD crashed and started making horrible noises. (Recovery partition... i miss you so badly)

So out went the HDD and in went an SSD (Agility, 64 Gb).

Now i have downloaded a Win 7 (32 bit) .ISO , unpacked it onto a USB drive using the "Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool" and installed it. However the installed Windows 7 is slow.  Miles slower than the Win 7 Home Premium that was on before. Installing WIN 7 took ~4 mins onto the SSD, but any windows explorer action results in 2 mins of "not responding". Something within Windows causes a total slowdown. Taskmanager shows ~2% of maximum activity while "not responding". RAM is fine.

Heres what I tried so far:

Used 4 different Win 7 isos: with S.P.1and without, from different sources. Tried updating Windows.

Installed the Drivers for Chipset and Video. Hotfix refuses to Install. Not sure if Intel Management Engine is installing since every window takes 2 minutes to half an hour to even appear.

Installed new BIOS.

My Recovery Disk is scratched and does not boot. Honestly im rather sick of having to run PC decr.apifier with evey new install so I prefer a clean Install anyway. How on earth can a new Windows + U160 not work? is the only option to buy recovery disk from Lenovo for 30 Bucks and decra.pify my PC again? Or have my PC sent to Lenovo for several weeks? (then decra.pify it). Will Lenovo install an OS on an aftermarket HDD?

Spent ~10 hours now reading forums and trying to get it to work. There seem to be plenty of ppl on the net with a similar problem and none with an answer. Which driver is causing the slowdown?

Answer
Options

3 Posts

12-09-2011

Berlin

2 Signins

37 Page Views

Re: U160 - Fresh WIN7 installation

2011-12-10, 1:52 AM

OK answering my own post:

http://www.winfuture-forum.de/index.php?showtopic=184160

In a Nutshell:

Windows has got problems with AHCI drivers.

Fault lies somewhere with [Windows, HDD makers, Board architecture].  A Fast disk can lead to a mess while acessing lots of Data (Installation/ gaming) (Race condition). A Download of the latest AHCI Driver (V 10)  from Intel solved my problem. Hotfixes from Microsoft, or the Servicepack for Win7 should help too. Theres also newer chipset drivers out there.

Unfortunatelly it was not possible to run the disk in IDE mode, the Drivers had to be installed while the Disk kept freezing up.

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

3 Posts

12-09-2011

Berlin

2 Signins

37 Page Views

• Message 2 of 2

Re: U160 - Fresh WIN7 installation

2011-12-10, 1:52 AM

OK answering my own post:

http://www.winfuture-forum.de/index.php?showtopic=184160

In a Nutshell:

Windows has got problems with AHCI drivers.

Fault lies somewhere with [Windows, HDD makers, Board architecture].  A Fast disk can lead to a mess while acessing lots of Data (Installation/ gaming) (Race condition). A Download of the latest AHCI Driver (V 10)  from Intel solved my problem. Hotfixes from Microsoft, or the Servicepack for Win7 should help too. Theres also newer chipset drivers out there.

Unfortunatelly it was not possible to run the disk in IDE mode, the Drivers had to be installed while the Disk kept freezing up.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms