Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 5 (1,155 Views)

U300s: Cannot access BIOS to change boot order

[ Edited ]

I was dual booting Windows 8.1 Update and Ubnutu 14.04

From the windows disk manager I deleted all Ubuntu partitions and rebooted my notebook. I was immediatlly present with the grub rescue promt. Normally this is a quick and easy fix, by booting a windows USB/CD and repairing the windows MBR. 

My problem is I can't access the bios or the boot menu to change the boot order. Nothing I've tried has let me get into the bios to set my USB stick as the first boot option. 

Using the small recovery key button on the side of the notebook which normally boots the notebook to the screen where you can choose which drive to boot does the same as the power button. There is no bios flash screen or abililty to press any keys before getting to the grub screen. 

I've drained the battery and left over night hoping this would reset the state it seems to be stuck in but that also did nothing. 

Here is a short video showing what happens when I boot the notebook http://youtu.be/2FpC2Deuawk

Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 5 (1,136 Views)

Re: U300s: Cannot access BIOS to change boot order

peavers wrote:

I was dual booting Windows 8.1 Update and Ubnutu 14.04

From the windows disk manager I deleted all Ubuntu partitions and rebooted my notebook. I was immediatlly present with the grub rescue promt. Normally this is a quick and easy fix, by booting a windows USB/CD and repairing the windows MBR. 

My problem is I can't access the bios or the boot menu to change the boot order. Nothing I've tried has let me get into the bios to set my USB stick as the first boot option. 

Using the small recovery key button on the side of the notebook which normally boots the notebook to the screen where you can choose which drive to boot does the same as the power button. There is no bios flash screen or abililty to press any keys before getting to the grub screen. 

I've drained the battery and left over night hoping this would reset the state it seems to be stuck in but that also did nothing. 

Here is a short video showing what happens when I boot the notebook http://youtu.be/2FpC2Deuawk

I think the problem is in deleting Ubuntu. According to this video after the deletion of the Ubuntu partitions they must be combined back to the Windows partition.

Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 5 (1,133 Views)

This isn't really the problem. The problem is there is no way at all for me to do anything because I always just get the grub rescue command promt. I can't access the bios to change the boot order to boot something else to solve the issue.
Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 5 (1,026 Views)

Solved this by dismantling the entire notebook to remove the CMOS battery.

Should have really included a CMOS reset pin hole switch somewhere... 

What's DOS?
Message 5 of 5 (427 Views)

Hi... I know it's been quite a while... I have the same issue... where is the CMOS battery located... I have disassembled the notebook, removed the main battery... I would prefer to take appart only what is neccesary.

Thanks.

Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count