Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stutz
Paper Tape
Views: 3,696
Message 1 of 9

U300s Trackpad does not appear in device manager

Recently I had an issue where I needed to reinstall windows. I downloaded a legitimate ISO and reinstalled it. When I went to reinstall all of the drivers, I had an issue with the TrackPad driver. I know it is a Cypress Touchpad. When I try to install the driver I get this error message: "Cannot find Cypress Trackpad!". It does not show up in the device manager (only my USB mouse is under the Mice and Keyboard menu.) My question is this: What can I do? I can't reflash the BIOS because I already have the latest one and WinFlash won't let you flash a BIOS with the same or earlier date on it. I have checked and the connection to the motherboard is very secure. What other options do I have? I'm not pleased in the least with this error. Any help is appreciated. I know computers well so if there are any solutions that are on the technical side, throw them at me! Thanks!

As a side note, I used a generic (read: non-OEM) windows ISO because Lenovo does not have a customized (OEM-specific) one easily accessable online.

System Overview:

Lenovo U300s

Intel Core i7-2677M @ 1.8Ghz

4GB RAM

Windows 7 64-Bit SP1

Former Employee
Views: 3,677
Message 2 of 9

Re: U300s Trackpad does not appear in device manager

Hi Stutz,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. After reading your post it appears that your touchpad connectivity may have diabled itself but this is a very rare case.

One thing I'd like you to check is when you go into the control panel, and click on the mouse Icon, can you tell me if there is an error code or something amiss in the mouse menu?

Another thing that might cause this is the touchpad connection to the motherboard. There is a possibility that that it might have popped out of its connector with will need to be check out.

Let me know if you see any errors in the control panel

Regards
Stutz
Paper Tape
Views: 3,661
Message 3 of 9

I think the touchpad may have disabled itself. Before posting I made sure to reseat the connection on both the motherboard and the trackpad. Both are secure. Additionally, I found no error codes or anything of alarm in the mouse menu, other than the fact that there is no touchpad listed. Is there anything I can do about this?

Former Employee
Views: 3,642
Message 4 of 9

Hi Stutz,

thanks for posting back. Its very strange to see the touch pad acting the way it does though. Seeing the way it is acting the way you describe it does seem like there could be a hardware failure.

But before we close to that conclusion, if you go into the BIOS, could you try to set it up to optimal defaults and see if there are any changes to the system in regards to the touch pad?

Do let me know how it goes.

Regards
Stutz
Paper Tape
Views: 3,629
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for your help! I apologize for the late responce. I went into the BIOS and set up the optimal defaults but it did not have any effect on the function of the touchpad. What are my options from here on out? This laptop is out of production and out of warranty.

Stutz
Paper Tape
Views: 3,605
Message 6 of 9

I haven't heard from you in a while. Do you have any other solutions or should I just contact the lenovo parts department and purchase a new touchpad?

--

Stutz

Eirikra
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,590
Message 7 of 9

Hi, I recently upgraded to win8.1 and accidentally made it a fresh install soo it was pretty fresh... haha

Well, my touchpad was working but it wasn't recognized in the device manager, someone said that I may had to reinstall the driver that came installed when I bought it, Lenovo has them avaliable here: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?#

After installing it the icon appeared again and I had the options avaliable in the device manager and everything... I think that may be the problem.

Stutz
Paper Tape
Views: 3,582
Message 8 of 9

I wish the answer were that simple. My touchpad ISN'T working which is the issue here, the computer doesn't even recognize that the touchpad exists. I am not able to install the driver because it cannot find the touchpad. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks,

Stutz

chris1686
Paper Tape
Views: 3,257
Message 9 of 9

Ever figure this out? I am having the same problem. ideapad Y400 running Windows 10 does not have touchpad listed in the device manager.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals