Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Menelaus
Paper Tape
Views: 2,243
Message 1 of 4

U31-70 - Hard Drive replacement?

Hello,

I recently bought a Lenovo U31-70 (i5 cpu, 8gb ram, 1tb hd, intel 4400 gpu)

I'm considering replacing the 1tb hd with a 500gb SSD as the normal HD is so slow (my main PC has an SSD for the system drive and you really notice how slow it is without one)

Will this void my warranty?

I am competent with hardware and have been building my own PC's for close to 30 years now, so swapping the HD out for an SSD is a breeze really.

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,226
Message 2 of 4

Re: U31-70 - Hard Drive replacement?

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Technically, opening the back cover can void your warranty since there no consumer replaceable parts (CRUs) located inside. 

In reality, most service centers understand that folks like to increase memory and upgrade the hard drive so they tend to overlook the fact that the laptop has been opened.  To-date I have yet to encounter a User here complaining that warranty service had been denied over the fact the back cover had been previously opened.

If you take your time with the swap, don't damage anything during disassembling and restrict your actions to just replacing the hard drive I don't see a problem. Keep in mind that future warranty service won't include the new SSD.  That would be covered by the SSD drive's manufacturer.  If you would want to take it a step further..... just keep your hard drive intact and if the day comes you ever need Lenovo warranty service, just swap the hard drive back in before sending it in.  Once the machine is out of warranty then format the hard drive and then sell it or re-use it.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Menelaus
Paper Tape
Views: 2,214
Message 3 of 4

Thanks a lot, yeah thats my plan.   Remove the HD and keep it safe untouched to be refitted if one day I have an issue and need a repair. 

Thanks.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,202
Message 4 of 4

You are very welcome.

Enjoy the new upgrade !

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals