Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
overtheborder
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,788
Message 1 of 9

U310 Touch Won't Turn On

Hello,

I purchased a U310 Touch about 15 months ago that is no longer under warranty. Every time I try and boot the machine I receive no response from the machine. The power light turns on, the fan spins, the HDD turns on but the screen never displays anything. Even when I close the clamshell the machines power button stays lit and won't shut off unless I kill the power by holding down the power button.

My troubleshooting steps have been:

Reset RAM

Unplug battery from motherboard

Wait for battery to completely drain

Boot with HDMI monitor to see if anything displays (nothing would, so LCD panel should be good)

With all of these, I cant get the machine to fully function. It feels like the machine is in total sleep mode, I feel like it needs a new motherboard. With my experience with lenovo I feel like this will be the last machine I ever purchase from them, this is unacceptable for a laptop of this age. 

Does anyone have any similar situations? If so did you purchase a new motherboard and was it good to go? I'm very comfortable with ripping machines apart since I used to work on a help desk. I would hate to spend $100 on a part and waste all that time if it wont fix the issue. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,691
Message 2 of 9

Re: U310 Touch Won't Turn On

Hi overtheborder and welcome to the community,

What OS are you running?  Maybe two things you can try depending on the OS.

Remove the hard drive and see if it boots to the bios.

Try booting a usb flash drive with linux.

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
overtheborder
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,689
Message 3 of 9

Hello,

It has windows 8, the stock OS the machine came with.

Unfortunately I cannot boot into BIOS since the machine cant complete post. I have also tried removing the hard drive, but the symptoms haven't changed.

Any other ideas?

overtheborder
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,657
Message 4 of 9

bump
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,643
Message 5 of 9

You already reseated the ram, right?

How about taking it out altogether and rebooting without the ram.  You should hear beeps without the ram.  If you don't, then I'd say that you have a motherboard problem.  If you do hear beeps, it could be a faulty ram chip or slot.  You only have one slot in there, right?

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
overtheborder
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,618
Message 6 of 9

Last night I replaced the motherboard on the machine, overall it costed around $100 on ebay. It wasn't a difficult process, only about 3 hours once I got the machine updated.

Good luck to anyone with this issue. 

grahament
Paper Tape
Views: 9,118
Message 7 of 9

I have this exact problem with a U310..but it will POST after repeated attempts. Once it up and running will stay on forever and runs perfectly!!! Surely this isn't a motherboard issue???

jimmypham
What's DOS?
Views: 8,674
Message 8 of 9

I have very similar problem with my U310.

the laptop does not turn on after a normal shut down. Once the power button is pressed, the power button LED would turn on, then off shortly after, then flash every 4-6 seconds with laptop making a sound like it is attempting to turn on. This will continue over and over until Power button is pressed for at least 8-10 seconds (until the battery LED turns off). After the latter procedure the laptop will turn on normally.

So this is a motherboard issue?

vejda
What's DOS?
Views: 1,680
Message 9 of 9

I have this problem, since I have replaced my HDD to SSD (same partition, W10). The problem is same with or without disk and external monitor. My solution is easy: Start and stop the nb until success and Lenovo sign is on the screen. Sometimes it takes really long (tens of minutes) of trying, but 100% sucessful. After that martyrdom i just use Sleep and not Power off.

P.S. Maybe it is just a fortune, but yesterday I was succesful with holding Ctrl+Power button. I don´t want to prove this thesis now Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors