Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ron-in-raleigh
Paper Tape
Views: 325
Message 1 of 3

U310 Touch batttery, bios, boot issues

I inherited a Lenovo U310 Touch with a broken hinge. The system worked but Windows was password protected. I used the Lenovo key to do a factory restore. Restore worked (and I fixed the hinges and all else) but now ....

1. I cannot not get into the BIOS or change boot list. I saw a post that this can happen after a factory restore. Fix is via BIOS update 65cn99ww. My BIOS is at 65cn97ww. So I tried installing the BIOS update. It will not install unless battery is good. This is a problem. See next item.

2. The battery light on the front does not come on. When I boot, Windows says no battery detected. Lenovo battery program also does not see a battery. However, if I pull the AC plug, the computer stays on. So there is some charge in the battery and it is able to power the computer. Why is the battery not detected? I also got a used battery from eBay thinking the battery was bad. This battery is acting the same.

3. I thought maybe this is a software problem and maybe loading another OS (Windows 7) might help,. However, if I remove the HDD and power up, the computer shows a blank screen - not even the first "Lenovo" screen, and does nothing. I would at least expect the BIOS to show the "Lenovo" screen. Why is this dependent on the HDD? Does the cn99 BIOS update fix this?

4. If I attach a blank HDD and plug in a bootable USB and power up, same result as in #3 - no "Lenovo" screen - nothing. And I cannot check the boot order since I need BIOS cn99, which I can't get installed yet. Why doesn't the computer at least try to boot the USB? Is this another quirk fixed by BIOS cn99?

Very confusing and frustrating. Is there any way to force the BIOS update without a battery?

Ron

ron-in-raleigh
Paper Tape
Views: 309
Message 2 of 3

Re: U310 Touch batttery, bios, boot issues

I forgot to say in the original post that I have also tried FN+F2 and FN+F12 repeatedly. These do not work in any of the scenarios I attempted.

ron-in-raleigh
Paper Tape
Views: 252
Message 3 of 3

Re: U310 Touch batttery, bios, boot issues

It has now been a few more days and many more experiments. I finally got around my dead battery problem and was able to flash the BIOS to 65cn99ww (see details below). However, even after successfully flashing the BIOS (the flash program said successful and Windows reported the updated version of the BIOS), I still could not get into the BIOS in any method whatsoever.

In more searching, ran across this forum post:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/IdeaPad-U310-touch-Can-no-longer-enter-...

This post described all the issues I was having. More importantly, there was a proposed solution - downloading a CMOS reset tool. I downloaded the tool, ran it on my U310 Touch with Windows 8, doing a full wipe. The tool reported success. I rebooted with the Lenovo key. I was able (finally) to get into the BIOS! I was also able to access the boot list.

I tried powering up regularly and using FN+F2 to enter the BIOS. No success. Tried F2. No success. I went into the BIOS and changed Hot Keys to Legacy. Doing this, I could now do a regular power up and enter BIOS via just F2 and boot list via just F12.

Flashing BIOS with a dead battery: Here's how I did it. Do at your own risk.

The 65cn99ww.exe expands to create a work folder under Users/<user>/AppData/Local/temp/ExtractTemp. There are four files in this folder:

- SctWinFlash64.exe
- WinFlash64.exe
- default.rsp
- 65CN99WW.cap

After 65cn99ww.exe unpacks itself, it launches SctWinFlash64 as a front end to the flash process. This program calls the WinFlash64 program under the covers. It is the WinFlash64 program that does the battery check and prevents the update if no battery present. This program has a slew of options - run "WinFlash64 -help" to see them all. The key option is /sadc, which disables the power check.

WinFlash64 reads the default.rsp file to get its instructions. The BIOS file 65CN99WW.cap is listed as the new BIOS file. I modified this file to add /sadc as the first option. I then opened an administrator window and ran WinFlash64.exe directly. It bypassed the battery check, rebooted, and during the reboot updated the BIOS. This is how I got past the dead battery issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors