Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amyegrn
Paper Tape
Views: 1,096
Message 1 of 6

U310 Windows 8.1 Battery won't charge past 90%

I've spent lots of time searching and troubleshooting this issus, but haven't found anything that works yet and am really hoping not to have to send me computer in for repairs since I use it for working from home this month.  I have seen same issue most frequently raised with the Lenovo Yoga-but haven't seen a solution.

Issue:  The battery stops charging at 90%.  If I unplug and drain the battery, it will charge back up with the adapter, but only to 90%.  It then reports, 90% plugged in, not charging.  Occassionally when I restart the computer it will say "90% and charging" and the icon will look like its charging, but after about 5 seconds that stops.  This problem started 2 weeks ago.  The energy management is set to maximize (not optimize) battery life.

Computer age:  I purchased this computer from Lenovo less than 6 months ago.  

List of troubleshooting attempts so far:  1) Turning off computer, detaching power supply, and holding down power button for 30sec before starting,  2) Battery guage reset, 3) changing from maximize to optimize and back to maximize power, 4) downloading latest Power Management Drive from Lenovo 5) using a different power adapter.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

MottaHP
Paper Tape
Views: 1,067
Message 2 of 6

Re: U310 Windows 8.1 Battery won't charge past 90%

Hey there,

have you tried "Battery Gauge Reset"? It's available in the "Energy Management" program ... 

Energy Management

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,056
Message 3 of 6

@amyegrn wrote:

I've spent lots of time searching and troubleshooting this issus, but haven't found anything that works yet and am really hoping not to have to send me computer in for repairs since I use it for working from home this month.  I have seen same issue most frequently raised with the Lenovo Yoga-but haven't seen a solution.

Issue:  The battery stops charging at 90%.  If I unplug and drain the battery, it will charge back up with the adapter, but only to 90%.  It then reports, 90% plugged in, not charging.  Occassionally when I restart the computer it will say "90% and charging" and the icon will look like its charging, but after about 5 seconds that stops.  This problem started 2 weeks ago.  The energy management is set to maximize (not optimize) battery life.

Computer age:  I purchased this computer from Lenovo less than 6 months ago.  

List of troubleshooting attempts so far:  1) Turning off computer, detaching power supply, and holding down power button for 30sec before starting,  2) Battery guage reset, 3) changing from maximize to optimize and back to maximize power, 4) downloading latest Power Management Drive from Lenovo 5) using a different power adapter.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

In the list (4) that you have done did you uninstall the power manangement before reinstalling? If no, try uninstalling first then re-install.

amyegrn
Paper Tape
Views: 1,042
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the suggestion--unfortunately trying it (with restarts after each step) didn't fix it.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,034
Message 5 of 6

@amyegrn wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion--unfortunately trying it (with restarts after each step) didn't fix it.

Can you try using the win 8 driver instead of the win 8.1 one?

jhicks99
Paper Tape
Views: 908
Message 6 of 6

I'm having the same issue with my U310 Touch.

I have tried everything in this thread.

How can Lenovo not have a solution to this by now?  Using Windows 8.1.  The machine isn't even a year old.

Any help would be appreciated!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors