Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sonni_87
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,663
Message 1 of 3

U310 loud fan noise

Hey everyone!

I just got a new u310 a few days ago. It has Windows 8 installed. I started working on the notebook, hoping the fan noise would eventually stop but it is really really noisy. I installed a software, which would indicate a temperature of 36°C, so usually the fan shouldn't be working on such a high level in the first place. I have read a couple of posts about this, but no one seems to have found a solution for tge U310 specifically.

Does anyone have the same problem? I thought maybe there is a BIOS update which would help...?

Thanks a lot,

Sonni 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,636
Message 2 of 3

Re: U310 loud fan noise

hi Sonni_87,

The loud fan noise that you're hearing, is it a:
1. A wind noise?

- If it is, this is normal as faster fan speed causes wind noise on the vents (this usually happens if you're getting unusual heat and the fan spins at a higher rate to cool down the CPU/GPU.

2. A grinding / rattling noise?

- this indicates that the fan is struggling - It's possible that it's hitting something, is dirty or is starting to wear out and needs to be replaced. 

Also, the BIOS can configure on how the fan spins. It's possible that the configuration is set to make the fan spin at a higher rate even on less load on the CPU/GPU (like in this article). In this case, you may need to contact lenovo report this issue

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

ohai
Paper Tape
Views: 2,379
Message 3 of 3

Re: U310 loud fan noise

I found that if I put my finger over the fan vents on the left side and hold it there the high-pitched noise stops. I also found that if I put an object up against the vents so they're blocked from blowing air out or over the vents (a piece of tape) the high-pitched noise stops as well. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors