Highlighted
papadiva
Punch Card
Views: 1,049
Message 1 of 9

U310 under Windows 8: some questions

G'day,

Lenovo U310, i5, upgraded from W7 to W8

Two weeks ago I upgraded my three-months-old U310 from W7 to W8, and I encountered some unsolved issues since. 

Seeing the Lenovo technical support seems all on holiday perhaps some of you forum-visitors can answer one or two questions.

1. Battery life decreased dramatically, from 5 to 6 hrs down to 3,5 hrs max
  2. Same story with Wifi reception. When I move from the router more than 2 meters I have to swich to cable reception; don't know if W8 caused this or just a lame Broadcom network adapter (I noticed some wifi issues on older U310 -i3- versions)
  3. What is the function of CAPOSD?
  4. Smart update - I expected a 'main interface to be shown' (Help function) but nothing to see, just stays resident and consuming loads of procesing time

Thanks in advance and regards,

Jim

papadiva
Punch Card
Views: 985
Message 2 of 9

U310 is waiting for software updates in order to work with Windows 8

Hi,

Lenovo U310, i5, recently upgraded from W7 to W8

Having my laptop upgraded, I was hoping all the loose ends and the 'growing pains', usual for this kind of upgrades, would be solved soon:

• Energy management
  • Poor WiFi connection
  • Dolby Home theater
  • Smart update
  • a.s.o.

So when I saw this link to subscribe to driver updates : 

http://support.lenovo.com/en_NL/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&AliasID=WIN8-INDEX&rd=1#

I clicked and what did I get? A lot of HTML language, preceded by the eloquent text "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

This is another example: 

http://206.17.82.2/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=&rss=true

and the only thing I get is the message "Could not locate the requested document.". 

And whatever I tried, no response to calls and/or emails ...

Does anybody at Lenovo aftersales care at all?

Regards,

Jim

ToastnButter
Token Ring
Views: 958
Message 3 of 9

Re: U310 is waiting for software updates in order to work with Windows 8

Honestly I'd suggest performing a clean install. Updating never does any good for me.

Also, try a US or HK-en version of the support page. I've got all my drivers from there and they work as a charm.
papadiva
Punch Card
Views: 767
Message 4 of 9

Hi y'all,

Perhaps I'm a little too impatient, but I started this thread about 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to get an answer from Lenovo or anybody with relevant knowledge of the issues mentioned.

Can anybody give me an explanation of this radio silence?

Or better, is there an official (and certified) Lenovo link where I can download the firmware updates related to Windows 8? 

Grtz,

Jim

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 751
Message 5 of 9

Hi Papadiva,

IdeaPad U310 driver page has been down, but should now provide most Win 8 drivers...

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT073560

please note that some Win 7 apps are not yet available or not needed for Win 8.

Zehn

papadiva
Punch Card
Views: 747
Message 6 of 9

Hi Zehn,   Thanks for the quick response! Does this link...

Hi Zehn,

Thanks for the quick response!

Does this link lead to the place where I can download the new drivers with Lenovo's approval?

I do hope it does because I've read a few threads here where the users complain about the quality and reliability of these drivers.

I will explain that in more detail:

One of the issues that disturbed me most is the energy management.

Since Windows 8 it didn't do its job properly so I followed the link you provided and I started downloading en running the update Lenovo provided. 

Energy management has its own map on drive C:\Drivers.

There I read the release notes, dated August, 15 2012.

To my surprise the last lines on this note contain the same release number (8.0.2.3) as the driver I was just going to upload.

So I immediately cancelled the update because I expect it wouldn't lead to a better energy management at all.

Above that, I'm asking myself whether Lenovo has an update-service, just like - for example - the automatic Windows update-service Microsoft is providing.

I purchased my laptop - containing Windows 7- in August 2012 and I'm afraid the link you provided doesn't give new updates since.

Grtz,

Jim

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 732
Message 7 of 9

U310 Win 8

Diva... Jim,

yes, I've linked to the official Lenovo IdeaPad 310 driver download page with the latest Lenovo drivers,

and yes, Win 8  still going through a lot of labor pains, but its a fad to always have the latest of everything,

so please do suffer graceful. Smiley Wink

No, there is no Update service for IdeaPad drivers, after your laptop finally runs smooth,

you rarely need to update a driver only in case of problems with new apps.

Cheers... Zehn

PS: may try to install Win 7 Energy Management driver in Win 7 Compatibility mode.

papadiva
Punch Card
Views: 723
Message 8 of 9

Fair enough Zehn,   Thanks for supporting  and have a nic...

Fair enough Zehn,

Thanks for supporting  and have a nice day.

I'll suffer with grace Smiley Happy

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 707
Message 9 of 9

U310 Win 8

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors