Options

19 Posts

01-12-2009

China

72 Signins

496 Page Views

• Views: 496
  • Message 11 of 94

Re: U330 bios doesn't enable virtualization techonology mode?

2009-05-01, 8:39 AM

I have already write complain mail to Lenovo, but no use at all.

Dear Ricky,

Thank you for contacting Lenovo, the makers of ThinkPad and ThinkCentre products.

I understand that the Ideapad U330 you purchased do not support the Intel Virtualization Technology and you would like us to update the same information on our website.

We do apologize if there has been any kind of inconvenience caused.As for this issue, we understand that this issue certainly needs to be referred to our Technical Support team at                                 1-877-453-6686 since they will look into the information and research on it, if there is any correction to be made on our website they would be doing the needful.

Once again, we do apologize if there has been any kind of inconvenience caused.

If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at 866-42-THINK (84465) option number 2. We will be happy to assist at that time.

Once again, thank you for contacting Lenovo.

Sincerely,
Rxxxxxx BxxxLenovo

Websales/CustServe
www.lenovo.com/us

-----Original Message-----
To: websales@lenovo.com
Date: 04/02/09 07:29
Subject: concern about laptop
Hi Lenovo:

I’m a custom of your laptop product with IdeaPad U330

My concern is when I bought this laptop, from any of the official announcement, there’s no mentioned about this product does not support Intel Virtualization Technology.

Actually there’s three condition required to enabled the Intel Virtualization Technology on one computer.

1.       CPU can support Intel Virtualization Technology

2.       Motherboard can support Intel Virtualization Technology

3.       Motherboard’s Bios has a option to enable Intel Virtualization Technology

Both 1 and 2 I can defiantly sure this kind of product can support this technology, the only one condition(3) which affect me cannot use this technology on my laptop.

I just want to give you this kind of feedback.

If Lenovo official do not want this product to support this technology , please put an announcement in official product description.

And also to enable the Motherboard’s Bios is quite easy for official to update the Bios(this is not a hardware support issue)

Thanks for your patient to read the whole mail.

Waiting for your reply……

Ricky

I think we need to complain together, or they won't care of one guy

Moderator Note; full name of Lenovo employee edited. Forum Rules

Message Edited by andyP on 05-01-2009 05:01 PM
Options

525 Posts

03-11-2009

Chicago, IL

300 Signins

14180 Page Views

• Views: 14180
  • Message 12 of 94

2009-06-07, 15:21 PM

I am still upset at this. No 64 bit guests under VMware because of this 'issue'. The hardware supports VT. What is the problem Lenovo? I want my money back. The marketing literature should say that for the Ideapad line VT is not enabled or offered. This is just nuts.

Options

37 Posts

06-26-2009

France

105 Signins

518 Page Views

• Views: 518
  • Message 13 of 94

2009-07-28, 14:18 PM
Hi everybody, i'm still at shock about all of this ...
I'm testing the late Windows 7 version and i'm very confused to see that i won't be able to run the XP mode as it require the VT to be enabled. I was so sure that it was going to work as all of you i checked my processor which is the P8400 and support VT, and nowhere i saw that the U330 doesn't support it.

i'm very uppset as i bought this laptop cause i needed virtualization technology.

As i already saw on this forum that lenovo is VERY uncooperative with bios update,specialy about adding an "integrated graphic only" option...  maybe we could turn to websites which propose BIOS modification.

I mean i'm using computer for a long time now, and one thing i know, if it's not a functionnality here from the start and if it's not mandatory, we're not going to see this beign updated.

They stand on principles that a U330 is for family customers, they don't need VT to be enable, and when you look at the BIOS is obvious that they planned that people won't need to modify something here at all. You won't get your money back either..

As you never get best satisfaction but when you doi it yourself, i know that those functionnalities are very well documented by constructors and when you know where to look you can find it, and some website exist where you can post your actual BIOS with the documentation and some request and some people are willing to help.

it's quite dangerous, but today's bios are normaly dual so if something go wrong you can restore it, just need to know how and so on ..
but adding the VT functionnality may be possible ....

I'm of course open to an upgrade by lenovo, but i really doubt they'll do it .... unless you know someone who work there lol ....

Options

17 Posts

06-24-2009

NYC

265 Signins

1258 Page Views

• Views: 1258
  • Message 14 of 94

2009-07-28, 16:00 PM

The general lack of responsibility of Lenovo in these matters is rather shocking. Even on the issue of the battery malfunctions, they are stuck having us, the end-users, doing quality control for them. We are taking on more of a support role than they are. They acknowledge that there is a problem, but insist that it is on our end and apparently all of us are doing something wrong that they are not. As such, they refuse to sell us extra batteries or fix our current batteries. In regard to VT enabling and Integrated Graphics Only, those are BIOS issues, which apparently is considered black magic to them because they won't even entertain the idea of releasing another version. I'm guessing that Lenovo expects to never release updated drivers or a 2nd BIOS version for the entire lifespan of this product. Basically, they have already washed their hands of you, so we're all probably just wasting our breath.

Mark is the ONLY person from Lenovo to ever directly reply to any of issues here. And although he is very responsive, none of his answers are very meaningful. No offense, Mark. I know you get answers from others and if they don't have them, neither do you. But at the end of the day, it's been 10months since we started on the battery issues and we're in the same exact place and any suggestions for BIOS updates are almost immediately dismissed. Lenovo and the U330 turning into one of the "Buy Beware" stories. Don't believe me? Check NBR and the other notebook forums. People like  the U330, but worry about the same issues we're dealing with now. And any chance I get, I warn people away with the truth and will continue to do so. So I guess if Lenovo doesn't listen to us, their potential customers will.

As for the BIOS, it's an InsydeH2O product, which are fairly new in the game and not many people know how to mod them. There seems to be a few on the forums in MyDigitalLife.com that have potential. If anyone is a member there, perhaps we should put up a request with all of our issues. Perhaps even setup a bounty; I'd be willing to contribute. If anyone has any info, PM me here. Anyone at Lenovo with answers is also welcome to contact me too. Thanks.

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23522 Signins

803300 Page Views

• Views: 803300
  • Message 15 of 94

2009-07-28, 17:12 PM

theletterj wrote:

Mark is the ONLY person from Lenovo to ever directly reply to any of issues here.

Just so we're clear...

While there are a few Lenovo employees roaming around in here helping out on a volunteer basis, this is not an official support channel with dedicated staff. Instead, this was designed from the beginning to be a user-to-user support and discussion forum. There is no guarantee that you will get an answer directly from one of the Lenovo employees, even Mark.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

5 Posts

07-29-2009

Australia

34 Signins

146 Page Views

• Views: 146
  • Message 16 of 94

2009-07-29, 6:15 AM
If you want ideapad that supports VT, I think U110 has no problems without changing any settings, it just works!
Options

37 Posts

06-26-2009

France

105 Signins

518 Page Views

• Message 17 of 94

2009-07-29, 12:36 PM

Some people have done it with some Acer and Vaio laptop that use insydeH20 bios check it:
http://marcansoft.com/blog/2009/06/enabling-intel-vt-on-the-aspire-8930g/
http://feature-enable.blogspot.com/2009/07/enable-vt-on-insydeh2o-based-sony-vaio.html

there is hope ^^

i don't understand all of this quite well, but basicaly the idea is to patch the BIOS to activate the VT, seems to be risky but worst it !!,

I've been reading deeper, and it looks like all Insyde bios a quite the same depending on the implementation, but people hav been patching their bios on Acer, sony and compaq, not on lenovo, we'll see
i'have quite some free time right now and'ill try to dump my bios and see what i can do.
any help of people who knows better than i do about those thing would be appreciated

and if someone could give us a Bios recovery procedure, Mark for example :)

thanks

Message Edited by o0TMS0o on 07-29-2009 06:24 AM
Options

37 Posts

06-26-2009

France

105 Signins

518 Page Views

• Message 18 of 94

2009-08-31, 11:02 AM

Does someone still folow this thread ?

Cause i may have found the procedure to enable the VT functionnality for my U330.

If someone is interested i could show how to procede

Options

22 Posts

03-19-2009

China

232 Signins

812 Page Views

• Views: 812
  • Message 19 of 94

2009-08-31, 11:52 AM

Hi o0tMS0o,

Yes, I'm very interested in how to enable VT functionnality for U330.

I'm using Win 7 and I want XP mode working properly.

Thanks.

Options

37 Posts

06-26-2009

France

105 Signins

518 Page Views

• Message 20 of 94

2009-08-31, 12:56 PM

Okay, then i'm gonna write a procedure for it.

I have no credit at all of doing this, i followed a blog post here :

http://marcansoft.com/blog/2009/06/enabling-intel-vt-on-the-aspire-8930g

By using and modifying for my bios the tools provided by the community i succesfully patched my bios.

For now here is my situation:

I succesfully patched my Bios, and have a bios image with the VT functionnality activated.

But i didn't try it yet, everything seem to be ok but i would like to be sure.

So my next step is to try the bios recovery procedure, once i have try that procedure and succefully restored my bios to default i will flash the patched bios.

What i can tell you is that it's quite simple, there is only one drawback, I used a linux machine (debian), but it could work with Cygwin on windows but i haven't tried this method

here are the basic step:

1) Backup your current bios

2) Running the set of tools on it, it will give some information about the Offset in the memory where the VT parameter is located (Linux Step)

3) running another script, with the values from the previous one, will activate the VT (changing a bit from 00 to 01)

4) comparing old a new bios to check that only 2 bits are different

5) flashing the patched bios back

6) enjoying VT !!

Most of the problems I had were OS based, indeed the scripts are written in python and you need some specific librairies and stuff like these.

Otherwise it's very easy.

I'll be back here in a couple of days after my try of the recovery procedure.

This is truly a tweak method, and i have no idea how it could affect the waranty of your product, but for me you could upgrade to a newer Bios version and the tweak will be gone, so i don't think lenovo could see a difference here. If lenovo release a new Bios version (ahahah...), the tweak will be gone aswell and you'll have to patch the it once again.

see ya soon

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete