Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Elviador
Blue Screen Again
Views: 80
Message 1 of 2

U41-70 throttling to 0.48 Ghz and fan constantly running

Hey, I have the following problem:

For some time now, my U41-70 throttles down to 0.48 Ghz with the fan constantly running. This behaviour is likely to something called thermal throttling or BD PRODHOT, where other hardware tells the CPU to throttle down in order to not overheat. The throttling can be circumvented using Throttlestop (or MSR on Ubuntu), but having the fan constantly running is quite unbearable.

I already tried a number of things, including updating the BIOS. Unfortunately, in the BIOS there does not seem to be an option to turn of thermal throttling altogether. I also cleaned the fan, and tried to change the fan speed manually. None of these measures had any effect.

My interpretation of this is that some heat sensor is broken, because the the sensors I can access rarely show a temperature above 40°C.

I do not have any warranty any more, so I can not just send the laptop in. If I could make out where the faulty sensor is, I could maybe exchange that part of hardware. Does anybody have an idea what part I should replace, or how else I could solve this?

I run my U41-70 on Windows and Ubuntu, with the problem occuring on both. I have a 256GB SSD, an Intel Core i5 processor and 8GB RAM.

Elviador
Blue Screen Again
Views: 22
Message 2 of 2

Re: U41-70 throttling to 0.48 Ghz and fan constantly running

Turns out, it was a hardware problem, but it was quite easy to fix. I renewed the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU (a good tutorial on how to do this can be found here). Since then (I did this on sunday), my laptop has been quiet.

It seems the heat sink got loose when I dropped my laptop a while ago, so that the GPU would send the thermal throttling signal when it would get too hot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors