Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DonBr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 837
Message 1 of 4

U410 HDMI stopped working after Windows update

U410 (non-touch) HDMI stopped working after a WIndows 10 update this evening. I tried it with multiple cables and monitors and nothing is working. Windows seems to be recognizing that there is a second monitor - at one point Windows seemed to be trying to display one of my applications on the HDMI monitor, becuase I couldn't see the window. When I toggled the F10 display mode to "PC Screeen only" those windows appeared on my laptop screen.

I disabled, then re-enabled the two video drivers I have, and the display is a "Generic pnp display".

Any help out there? Thanks.

Don

DonBr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 813
Message 2 of 4

Re: U410 HDMI stopped working after Windows update

I know the laptop is seeing the other monitor because I can extend the desktop via F10 and I can move my mouse off my laptop screen and onto the HDMI monitor. I have lost a window on the monitor a few times now, so the computer is aware of the other monitor and treats it like it's working, but the monitor doesn't display anything.
DonBr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 759
Message 3 of 4

Update:

I uninstalled the two display adapters that were showing on my machine: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce 610M. I uninstalled the NVIDIA first and told it to remove the software. Then I rebooted, and scanned for new hardware. That found it again and installed it. I then uninstalled the Intel driver, deleting the software from my machine. I rebooted it and a new adapter name was showing in Device Manager: "MIcrosoft Basic Display Adapter." I went to the Intel site and downloaded their update scanning software. It ran and identified the Basic Display Adapter as needing to be updated. I went through several steps to run the Intel software, and it asked me to reboot. I did. When it came back, I saw the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 driver back in my device list, replacing the "Microsoft" entry from before.

I'm still having the same problem, so am starting to wonder whether it's a hardware problem, like I've unplugged and plugged in the HDMI cable enough times that I wore it out right at the exact moment I was getting a Windows 10 update. Seems unlikely, and as I mentioned, Windows definitely "sees" the monitor that's plugged in as I've described above.

Still looking for advice if anyone has any to offer. Thanks.

Don

DonBr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 666
Message 4 of 4

This finally started working again. An NVIDIA GeForce notification popped up that I needed to install the latest (I had installed the latest at the time but it looks like a new one had come out.) I installed it, rebooted, and things are working again. I'm guessing the Windows update broke something in the previous driver and the new one fixed it. It's hard to know for sure but it stopped working right after the Windows update and started working right after the new driver install.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors