Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
packrat
Token Ring
Views: 29,393
Message 1 of 22

U410 Rapid Start, Smart Response setup from scratch

Hi!

I have a question about the built-in Intel's Rapid Start and Smart Response technology in my U410 notebook.

The problem is that I've managed to "reset" the SSD cache drive so the raid array and the partitions are lost.

I've tried to restore the drive structure by creating a 8GB hibernation partition, with diskaprt (on basic disk, create partition primary size=8192 id=84). After that the Rapid Start works fine. Next I've used the Intel Rapid Storage Manager utitlity to create the acceleration for a partition on the HDD. There were two option for that, the firts one is to use 18,6 GB for cacheing, the second one was to use the whole drive (max. 64GB). Chosing the second option did nothing exept throwing an error, the firts option created the cache array with the following structure:

Array_0000:

- Volume_001: 11GB (data)

- Volume_002: 19GB (cache)

In the widows drive manager the hibernation partition appeard on Volume_001 with another unallocated 3GB partition.

The original setup was (without having the 3GB unallocated space):

Array_0000:

- Volume_001: 8GB (data)

- Volume_002: 22GB (cache)

The question is, how can I create the original array structure, for using the two menitoned technoligies, without loosing 3GB caching space, filling the whole remaining space for caching?

I hope I was clear about the probelm Smiley Happy Any help appreaciaed!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 29,359
Message 2 of 22

Re: U410 Rapid Start, Smart Response setup from scratch

Got some reply from Intel:

This cannot be done by the end-user with the current production version of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver (I assume that they are using the 11.0 production version of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver).  This has been fixed in the next release version 11.5 (PV WW28 – 32).  The only option for end-user to reconfigure the SSD with cache + data is to select 18.6GB for the cache which will create 11GB for the data area of the SSD.  The correct sequence of steps for restoring the CacheSSD with the Intel® Rapid Start Technology partition:

1.       Launch the Intel® RST GUI and click the ‘Acceleration’ button at the top of the GUI
2.       Click Enable acceleration
3.       Select the SSD and 18.6GB for the Cache size (this will create a cache volume size 18.6GB + data volume size 11GB)
4.       Select the Acceleration mode (Maximized or Enhanced) and complete the Acceleration.
5.       Once the Acceleration-enabling operation is complete you can partition any portion of the 11GB data volume for Intel® Rapid Start Technology

Note:  The user can select any size of the 11GB data volume that they wish for the Rapid Start partition.  Any space unused can be partitioned in Disk Manager for additional data storage space.  As far as performance, there should not be much difference if any between the cache size of 18.6GB and the original 22GB.

packrat
Token Ring
Views: 29,336
Message 3 of 22

Hi!

Thank You for your reply!

Regards,

R.

BigCountry
What's DOS?
Views: 28,504
Message 4 of 22

Hi packrat,

Were you able to enable hibernation in your new system?

I can't seem to enable it after reverting to factory install.

Thanks.

p3vuong
Fanfold Paper
Views: 28,478
Message 5 of 22

Hi,

I still can't seem to follow your instructions...how do I set my SATA controller to RAID, but also allow Windows to boot? I can't seem to get it working.

packrat
Token Ring
Views: 28,459
Message 6 of 22

What's your setup in the bios? AHCI or RAID?

packrat
Token Ring
Views: 28,458
Message 7 of 22

Hi BigCountry,

Yes I was able to enable hibernation. You have to install all the intel drivers (Rapid Storage, Rapid Start,...) from the support page. After that please look at these threads:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/Hibernate-on-a-IdeaPad-310-Ultrabook/m-p/8171...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/IdeaPad-U310-no-hibernate-after-clean-install...

Hope this helps!

R.

p3vuong
Fanfold Paper
Views: 28,451
Message 8 of 22

@packrat wrote:

What's your setup in the bios? AHCI or RAID?

I had to set it to AHCI, to install Windows on my new 1TB drive. But now when I switch it back to RAID, it BSOD on me.

packrat
Token Ring
Views: 28,447
Message 9 of 22

Hi p3vuong,

You have to install RAID drivers before switching to RAID in the bios.

Or maybe this link should help:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?s=69448c6b35756aeb127dd4559ce9b431&p=13940673&postcoun...

Liken
Punch Card
Views: 26,797
Message 10 of 22

Hi Packrat (or anyone else),

not sure if you still read this after several months. I just got mu new u410 and tried to use Partition Magic to divide the gigantig 1TB drive into a C (system) and D (data) partition. Afterwars only trouble, windows runs for a while but thenBSOD. So I tried OneKeyRecovery, only worked when I used GPARTED from iso drive to re-establish the original partitions so the OEM partition would be reognized. But still after restore BSOD, less frequent, but still often enough and really weird behaviour when installing software.

THEY SHOULD REALLY WARN YOU NOT TO REPARTITION...

Anyway - final try before sending it back under Warranty: clean install. Tried via enabling RAID in Bios, then booting WinCD via external USB-CD drive, loaded the driver you recommended, Harddrive is recocnized,creating new partitions C: (system) + D: (data) on disk 1, leaving disk 0 (the SDD) untouched, try to install, Windows expands to about 11% and stalls with error.

Reboot from WinCD, whole procedure again, now after driver loaded I am told this drive has an ETI partition table system that is not supported by Windows ;-(

OK, disable RAID in bios, switch to ACHI, same crap...

Upon reboot Intel Raid Utility displays before the CD, via CTRL+I I look at the setbup, only one disk (the SDD) still belongs to the RAID, the seond one, the 1TB HDD no longer is part of the RAID. Now, I do not want to destroy the SDD partition like you did, but if I take it out of the RAID I assume that is what will happen?

Any advice???

It would be really a huge pain sending this thing back under warranty. I bought it in Germny, but am currently in Ecuador.

Thanks!

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors