Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
chinnybob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 840
Message 1 of 4

U410 - cannot log in after Windows Update following Factory Restore when timezone is not UTC-8.

Steps to reproduce error:

1. Use OneKey recovery to restore initial factory settings.

2. On the Windows initial configuration screen select a timezone ahead of UTC-8, such as UTC (London)

3. Log in to Windows, open Windows Update control panel and click "Install Updates"

4. Reboot computer to complete updates.

5. On login screen attempt to login or shutdown the computer.

Result:

Computer is stuck with only desktop wallpaper and mouse pointer visible. No response to any keys. Pressing the power button sleeps the machine. Pressing it again wakes the machine back to the stuck state.

I have reproduced this problem 3 times using initial restore each time.

Wordaround:

Before beginning the factory restore process, set the system clock back by 24 hours. After the factory restore completes, set the system clock back to the correct time.

Alternatively, wait 24 hours between a factory reset and attempting to install Windows updates.

Analysis:

This problem is caused because of the way that Windows stores the time. It assumes that the system clock is set to local time rather than UTC. When you use the OneKey recovery system it does not know what timezone the system clock is set to, and so it assumes that it is set to UTC-8. If it is in fact set to UTC, OneKey Recovery creates files with a timestamp 8 hours in the future. This causes Windows Update to fail.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 821
Message 2 of 4

Re: U410 - cannot log in after Windows Update

chinnybob ... I will test this tomorrow ... Thanks

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
countrywise
Broadband 3G
Views: 811
Message 3 of 4

@chinnybob wrote:

Steps to reproduce error:

1. Use OneKey recovery to restore initial factory settings.

2. Log in to Windows, open Windows Update control panel and click "Install Updates"

3. Reboot computer to complete updates.

4. On login screen attempt to login or shutdown the computer.

Result:

Computer is stuck with only desktop wallpaper and mouse pointer visible. No response to any keys. Pressing the power button sleeps the machine. Pressing it again wakes the machine back to the stuck state.

I have reproduced this problem 3 times using initial restore each time.

İ assume you're refering to yesterdays updates.

Yes some systems have problems at times dealing with the updates.

You can boot into Safe mode,use system restore to an earlier point(before you installed the updates)

then install 2 updates at a time,

and rebooting.

That way you should be able to see,which one is causing the problem.

chinnybob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 796
Message 4 of 4

One step I forgot to mention, which may be important:

After factory setup, during the initial configuration screens, I set the timezone to GMT London.

Since the OneKey recovery uses GMT-8, this may cause some files to have a timestamp 8 hours in the future. Perhaps if I waited 8 hours before updating this problem would not occur. I will test this by setting the system clock to 1 week in the past, doing factory reset, and then setting it back to the correct date before doing the update.

EDIT: Test successfuly. This workaround works.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors