Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

04-27-2014

India

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 1 of 4

U410 running really slow even after fresh installation

2014-04-27, 21:38 PM
I bought an ideapad u410 a little over an year ago. It came pre loaded with windows 8. It had been running slow for some time. The machine would almost take 10 mins to boot up. Any time i try to access something for the first time, it would take almost 10 mins for it to open, be it files, file explorer, web browser, media file or any installed app or program. Once it opened if i tried accessing a second time, it didnt take long. I installed the lenovo solution centre and did a hardware scan to see if there is an issue with the hard disk or RAM or any other hardware. The scan came out clean with all the hardware tests passed.

I made a recovery disk and then reset the pc to get s fresh installation of the windows. I reset the system from PC settings. After getting a fresh installation when the problem persisted i reset the pc using the recovery disk. The recovery process took 30 hours to finish but that didnt solve the problem. When i tried to reset again it said that there is a partition error and partition could not be found. So i cleaned the hard drive using diskpart, made a primary partition and the. N formatted the HDD. When i tried to install windows 8 using recovery usb it says that it cant find active partition. So then i installed a copy of windows 7 which was very slow and took almost 3 hours to install. After installing windows 7 my laptop is still running very slow and it takes at least 5 minutes for me to access any file or to even right click and refresh the desktop.

How do i resolve this issue and how can i get a clean installation of the pre loaded windows 8 which i am not able to install from the recovery disk. In the beginning there was one drive of 1TB on which i created more partition to get 1 drive of 450 GB and another 200 GB using the default windows disk manager. Could this have led to the issue of the Laptop slowing down?
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

United States of America

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: U410 running really slow even after fresh installation

2014-04-28, 12:41 PM

wrote:
I bought an ideapad u410 a little over an year ago. It came pre loaded with windows 8. It had been running slow for some time. The machine would almost take 10 mins to boot up. Any time i try to access something for the first time, it would take almost 10 mins for it to open, be it files, file explorer, web browser, media file or any installed app or program. Once it opened if i tried accessing a second time, it didnt take long. I installed the lenovo solution centre and did a hardware scan to see if there is an issue with the hard disk or RAM or any other hardware. The scan came out clean with all the hardware tests passed.

I made a recovery disk and then reset the pc to get s fresh installation of the windows. I reset the system from PC settings. After getting a fresh installation when the problem persisted i reset the pc using the recovery disk. The recovery process took 30 hours to finish but that didnt solve the problem. When i tried to reset again it said that there is a partition error and partition could not be found. So i cleaned the hard drive using diskpart, made a primary partition and the. N formatted the HDD. When i tried to install windows 8 using recovery usb it says that it cant find active partition. So then i installed a copy of windows 7 which was very slow and took almost 3 hours to install. After installing windows 7 my laptop is still running very slow and it takes at least 5 minutes for me to access any file or to even right click and refresh the desktop.

How do i resolve this issue and how can i get a clean installation of the pre loaded windows 8 which i am not able to install from the recovery disk. In the beginning there was one drive of 1TB on which i created more partition to get 1 drive of 450 GB and another 200 GB using the default windows disk manager. Could this have led to the issue of the Laptop slowing down?

You might want to check the ssd cache by following the command shown in the picture.

Cache check.JPG

Options

236 Posts

05-09-2010

Cochrane

1681 Signins

10422 Page Views

• Views: 10422
  • Message 3 of 4

2014-04-28, 13:37 PM

It sounds like your hard drive is failing.  They will run extremely slow when this happens.  Try tesing your hard drive with HD Tune.

http://www.hdtune.com/

There is a free version so you can check the speed of your hard drive.  It is usually obvious if there is a problem.

Options

3 Posts

04-27-2014

India

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-05-01, 17:16 PM

Thanks for the help... I replaced the hard disk with an old one and it seems to be working fine... Seems like the hard drive is failing... I ran all the tests on HDTune and while most of the tests are running fine.. the health shows a few warnings...

Can this be repaired....

HardDisk.png

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms