03-16-2015

Canada

7 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 1 of 13

U410 screen not working?

2015-03-16, 13:03 PM

After shutting down my computer, when I try to power it back on I can hear the fan running and the hard disk as well but my screen remains black. I made sure it was shut off by holding down the power button until the indicator light turned off and tried turning it on again, but that did not solve the problem. My screen remains black.

This has been happening for the past few weeks, but usually turns on after 30 minutes or so of trying. I tried unplugging it and recharging the laptop but that did not work either. I have also tried pressing the F8 key but my screen still remains black, so that is not a solution. I would really appreciate some feedback on this issue as I have been dealing with it for a few days. Thanks!

Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Views: 610511
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: U410 screen not working?

2015-03-16, 16:36 PM

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Even though the screen is dark can you see faint images on the screen ?   Also shine a flash light on the screen to assist with viewing any images.  If you see faint images then you have a problem with the screen's LCD backlighting.

Have you tried connecting the laptop to an external display such as a TV using the laptop's HDMI port.  If the eternal display shows your desktop screen then you have a problem with the LCD display itself or the video cable on your laptop.

With either of the above, I would recommend you contact Lenovo Support for service especially if your warranty is active. You can find the phone number for Lenovo Support in your country or area by using the link below....

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist_alt1

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Options

5 Posts

03-16-2015

Canada

7 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2015-03-16, 17:27 PM

I can't even see faint images on the screen it is definitely completely black. I have tried connecting it to multiple external displays but there has been no success with that either.

Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2015-03-16, 17:42 PM

In the past did you ever try connecting the laptop to an external display and were you successful ?   I'm just wondering if the problem is now related to the graphics processor on the motherboard or just a setup problem with the external display if this is your first time trying it.

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Options

5 Posts

03-16-2015

Canada

7 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2015-03-16, 17:48 PM

I usually use my laptop and extend it using the HDMI port to an external monitor and it has worked fine. But seeing as the external display was never my primary display, it isn't usable until I log into my U410.

Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2015-03-16, 18:06 PM

Difficult to narrow your problem down to the graphics processor on the motherboard or a problem with the display.  If I had to make a choice I would suspect the display.  

Options

5 Posts

03-16-2015

Canada

7 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2015-03-16, 18:16 PM

Do you think there could be a solution without having to replace the entire laptop? It's just weird because usually it'll eventually turn on by itself (if i keep turning it off and on), but it has been off for two days now.

Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2015-03-16, 18:35 PM

If turning on and off brought back your display then try this.....

If your warranty isn't an issue then try disconnecting the main battery's plug from the motherboard.  Just above the main battery will be a coin cell battery encased in black vinyl with a black and red wire.  Disconnect the plug with the black and red wire from the motherboard.  Now that both batteries are disconnected, press the power button for 30 seconds then reconnect the batteries then see if you computer display is now working. 

Below is a link to a Lenovo Training Video.  In the FRU section will be videos demonstrating how to remove the back cover and how to disconnect the main battery.

http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/content/CourseWarePublic/12769/player.html

PS   If you do get it to power up then I would enable the clone display for the external monitor.

Options

2 Posts

08-20-2015

Borivali (E) , Mumbai

4 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 9 of 13

2015-08-20, 4:11 AM
Hi Majestic,

I have this problem. My LCD is also not showing anything on the screen while starting. I had problem with the screen that it became loose from the hinge area and the frame covering LCD screen was coming out from there. I had to adjust my screen to get it working properly. Once it was gone blank and then luckily again started working fine. But now it is gone and it is coming blank only. I can see faint images on the screen when I start my laptop.
I am out of warranty right now so could you please let me know the how can I solve it myself?

And if I need to changes the display then what could be the cost of it in INDIA?

Thanks,
Ashsih Mistry
Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2015-08-21, 15:40 PM

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Ashsih Mistry !

In your situation with a hinge problem and the LCD coming loose you may also have a problem with the video cable being pulled loose from its socket or the cable itself was damaged.  I assume when the hinge broke that the LCD lid broke free from the base. I would suggest you open the laptop and check the connections for the video.  I have included a link below for your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual for your reference.  When working inside your system please follow all precautions and recommendations that are noted in the manual.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_u310_u410_hmm_1st_edition_mar_2012_english.pdf

As for costs of replacing the display, I have no idea what they would be.  For that I would recommend you contact a local computer repair facility as request an estimate.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms