Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevejefferies
What's DOS?
Views: 244
Message 1 of 2

U410 sudden loss of power

Hi,

I recently bought a U410 which was working fine apart from a random loss of power. The machine would switch off suddenly in a number of situations (both when being used fairly heavily and when idle) and both under battery and mains power. When it switched off the machine was not excessively hot. When turning it back on the machine booted fine, had adequate battery power and did not report anything in the event logs other than an unexpected shutdown. As the machine was only a couple of weeks old, I returned it to the store and (with a bit of convincing) managed to get a refund. Since this appears to be a fairly isolated issue I bought a new U410 but unfortunately within a couple of days this one was also experiencing the same issue. I would rather fix the issue than take this one back since the U410 is otherwise a very nice machine.

After a bit of research on these support boards I found a few threads referring to different potential causes, but no definitive cause. Everything tried so far (fully updating drivers, bios, windows etc) hasn't alleviated this issue. Did any definitive cause of this issue ever get found?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 221
Message 2 of 2

Re: U410 sudden loss of power

hi stevejefferies,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Most intermittent shut down / power loss issues that I've encounted is due to overheating or a faulty component inside of the PC.

Here's what I would do if I was in your case:

1. Monitor the temperature of the HDD,CPU,GPU by using HWMonitor.(the Core i-series CPU has a TJ max of 100 C before the unit shuts down)

2. If there's no sign of overheating, eliminate the OS and the preloaded apps as the issue by doing a fresh OS install. If you're running Windows 7, you can get a Windows 7 ISO on this website then install all the drivers (keep windows update disabled for the meantime) and observe.

If the issue reoccurs, I recommend you contact lenovo to report the issue and have it serviced.

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors