Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pandanucca
Paper Tape
Views: 17,218
Message 1 of 131

U430 Touch Screen Hinge

I got the Lenovo U430 Touch in late August and have noticed that the screen hinge wasn't very sturdy but it was still working fine. But today the hinge is broken and I can't close the screen properly without adjusting it. I didn't drop it or damage it and I looked it up and saw that other people were having similar issues and saying it was a production failure. Is there anyway I can get a replacement or do I have to send it in for repairs? I'm in college and I'll be needing it for a couple more weeks so I can't send it in for repairs yet. And is the $99 fee not covered by the warranty? I called Lenovo support and they said they can't look at my laptop until I pay the fee. I feel like the quality of Lenovo has declined recently. Any help would be appreciated.

Sundodger
What's DOS?
Views: 17,077
Message 2 of 131

Re: U430 Touch Screen Hinge

I'm in the same situation as you.  I bought a U430 Touch in August and today the hinge on the left side broke when I closed it.  It's absurd that a hinge would break under normal use and not be covered by the warranty.  As far as I can tell I am going to have to send it in, although Best Buy (where I bought it) was more helpful than Lenovo.  I think Best Buy will pay the shipping and the $99 fee for me.  Since I need the computer for work I am going to wait to send it in.

MTGraber
What's DOS?
Views: 16,989
Message 3 of 131

You're getting off cheap.  Mine broke after 3 months.  I was told it was under warranty and they paid for the shipping.  Then when they got it they told me it was $269 to fix.  They must not want repeat customers, because why would I ever buy another product from a company that that treats its customers like this?

Former Employee
Views: 17,016
Message 4 of 131

Lenovo has concluded an investigation into reports of hinge mount failures on U430 Touch and U530 Touch laptops. If the laptop has not been dropped or otherwise damaged, and is under warranty, please contact Lenovo Service for support.

Thank you,

ashleyburgess
Paper Tape
Views: 16,860
Message 5 of 131

My laptop did the same several months ago and sadly because I'm doing my masters degree in Computing at University I can't afford to send it off, nightmare.

I haven't damaged it at all, the hinge sort of just started detaching. I have had the laptop now for about a year and a half so I'm not sure where I stand warrenty wise seeing as it is a manufacturers fault. I had never used a Lenovo product before this and I don't know if I will again especially when Apple don't charge much more and from what I've heard they provide a great service and aftercare.

Mona_Marie
Paper Tape
Views: 16,841
Message 6 of 131

I have the same hinger problem, but I am in Egypt, and bought my lenovo from US .. I dont know if there's international warranty or not . what should I do ?

HansTheunissen
Paper Tape
Views: 16,825
Message 7 of 131

Dear mrs. Tupper,

I own a Lenovo U330 touch which I bought july 2014, so still under warranty, can I turn in this laptop at the Dutch Lenovo repair centre as well for repair under warranty, because I am encountering the same proble on the right hinge of the screen.

Former Employee
Views: 16,756
Message 8 of 131

I need to gather several customer-provided photos of hinge mount failures on the U430 Touch model.

If you could, it would really help me if several people could provide photos. (Please resize photos to make them smaller before posting.)

Thank you for your help,

johnfleary
What's DOS?
Views: 16,637
Message 9 of 131

Lenovo fixed our hinge free of charge(shipping free too).  We had to get past the initial help desk person who originally indicated it would be $400 to fix.  We referenced the problem identified in this forum and the help desk had a manager call us back who indicated the fix would be covered under warranty.  It was purchased in August 2014. The process took about 3 weeks becuase an item required for the fix was back ordered. Thank you Lenovo

Mona_Marie
Paper Tape
Views: 16,630
Message 10 of 131

The problem is that I bought my lenovo from USA in July 2014 and I'm in Egypt now .. I dont know whether they would fix it for free since its still in warranty for , or not Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors