Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike0921
Blue Screen Again
Views: 648
Message 1 of 7

U530 Touch AC cord plug and laptop plug broke

Hi all,

Some time ago my Ideapad U530 Touch fell from my desk. It hit perfectly on the ac power supply plug-in and it broke the male connector on the cord and it appears that the female connector on the laptop is damaged as well. The pictures attached are the best I could do. The plug on the laptop may or may not be ruined, I'm not sure but I think I remember a small metallic part that broke off of it. The "damage" that is visible in the pictures looks to me like just scratches on the paint/color but I'm not sure.  Like I said this was a while ago and I'm just now getting around to fix it.

I was looking for parts just now, first for the cord to see if that would be all that I needed, but I was also looking for a schematic to find the part on the laptop and to see if it was a part of the motherboard so I could have an idea of what this was going to cost me. I discovered that there is no schematic (that I could find.) The cords offered for this laptop all had "expired" labeled on them and the cart button was greyed out and not functioning so I couldn't even price it.

Can someone let me know how I might proceed with repairing my laptop? It is almost three years old. If the cost is prohibitive (the whole motherboard must be replaced because the power supply plug is an integral part of it or whatever) then can you let me know the easiest and/or cheapest way to get the data off the hard drive? The battery is long past dead so it won't even fire up for me to copy it. I've moved and lost the backup and one copy of the drive I used to have.

Up until this happened it was a pretty good laptop. If it wasn't for the data on the hard drive I'd probably move on or at least shop around and look for a replacement. I don't know if the specs of it are outdated now or if one equal or better would be the way to go. It is so big it really isn't a "laptop" but a desktop anyway...

I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions, I just am not sure what to do.

IMG_20180225_115224.jpgIMG_20180225_115313-1-6.jpgIMG_20180225_115139.jpgThanks in advance, 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 634
Message 2 of 7

Re: U530 Touch AC cord plug and laptop plug broke

Hi,

As to repair, have a look at the Hardware Maintenance Manual - IdeaPad U530 Touch

It appears that the DC-in connector is a separate, replaceable thing.  Parts list is in the HMM.  I took a quick look for one and found it on eBay.  Didn't verify that it's the right one...

Another way to go is to pull the hard drive, plug it into a SATA/USB adapter, and grab the data.  Save the $10US the connector would cost for a new laptop Smiley Wink

[edit to add] The charger appears to be a "slim tip" 20V unit. Should be very common - Google is your friend there.  I belive that the Touch U530 needs the 65W charger.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

mike0921
Blue Screen Again
Views: 586
Message 3 of 7

Hi Z,

Thanks for your reply. I'm going now to look at the HMM from the link you supplied. But, from your other comments, are you saying that it could be time to go ahead and upgrade to a newer laptop? Or is the U530 Touch worth the cost of fixing it?

EDIT:

Depending on your thoughts as to upgrading to a newer laptop;

I just looked at the HMM.  I'm unfamiliar with the terms... is it the "Power Connector" I need to replace in the laptop? And any 65W DC plug/cord that will fit into the AC adaptor is suitable for this??

Of course, if the path I should take is to go ahead and upgrade, these two questions can be ignored... Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Mike

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 584
Message 4 of 7

I was just playing off your "If it wasn't for the data on the hard drive I'd probably move on or at least shop around and look for a replacement."  Entirely your call whether you repair or replace. I don't have any personal experience with a U530.

If the cost of repair is low - if it's just the connector and a new "brick" it shoulld be -  I'd probaby fix it in any case. Then you'd have the luxury of time to figure out whether you want something newer.  If you can't or don't want to fuss with repair, recovering your data should also be inexpensive and fairly easy.

May I suggest that whatever you do, you back up your data?  Flash drives are cheap, external HDDs aren't bad, and there's always Google Drive and the other cloud services.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

mike0921
Blue Screen Again
Views: 581
Message 5 of 7

Hi Z,

Okay, forget the EDIT above... you are on top of it! 

I have a backup, but I've not had to restore anything with it yet. I was under the impression that I had to restore it to the same hardware. Not true?

Thanks for your patience with this newbie about this. Smiley Embarassed

Mike

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 574
Message 6 of 7

If you have a full drive backup - OS and data and installed apps - that would probably have to be restored to the same/similar hardware.  Depending on how often you update it, it may or may not include the data you care about.

My suggestions about other backup uptions would apply to data only - which could be restored to most anything, and also serve as an archive that could be accessed at any time.

I'm a belt, suspenders, and safety pins user: any time I finish an edit on a document, modify code (in my working life I did device drivers among other things), or do most anything that modifies data I copy the data to a flash drive I keep in my pocket.  I've also set up Google Drive to do backups to the cloud of my more current data, and that happens automatically any time it's modified.  On top of that, Acronis does a weekly backup of my primary SSD (this is on a desktop) to a large HDD... and from time to time I archive those to an external drive.

Z.

mike0921
Blue Screen Again
Views: 232
Message 7 of 7

Thanks, Z,

I'm not sure why but I've always just done a full backup and usually on a weekly basis using the Windows backup. It does make more sense to just make a backup of the OS after installation and before adding a bunch of stuff to restore it and then do a data backup like you described that you do. The Google Drive option sounds good and easy.

It also sounds like there are better options than the Windows backup out there. I'll have to do some research and make a decision on which way to go.

FYI, I'm replacing the cords and plugs on my U530 Touch. Amazon had a deal on both so I ordered them. I have had to drill out one screw as it was locked tight... someone welded it in I think! Smiley Happy

Again, many thanks for your help and advice it solved the mental block I seemed to have had on the issue. Smiley Very Happy

Mike

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors