English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks Knowledge Base

U530 Touch: No HDMI audio output

Question

I just purchased an Ideapad U530 Touch with Windows 8.1.   It's a nice laptop, however, I can no longer do HDMI cleanly with my Samsung TV.  My other laptop which used the same HDMI cable worked flawlessly with video and audio though.

A summary of what I've tried with HDMI cable attached:

• Went to "Playback Devices".  Couldn't find anything there but "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)" and my Soundspot Bluetooth speaker.  Also tried to show disabled devices - but nothing new popped up.
  • Went to Device Manager and noticed "High Definition Audio Device" with a warning that the "device could not start (Code 10)".  Tried uninstalling the device and its driver as well as re-installing and scanning for device but with no success.
  • Tried switching HDMI cables with another one I know works. No luck.
  • Tried updating Realtek drivers with these but still no luck.  No High Definition Audio devices appeared and still have that warning in Device Manager
  • Tried updating the Nvidia 730M drivers with the 3/10/2014 update.  Not helping.

I noticed that I have two Display Adapters in the Device Manager - the Intel HD Graphics Family one and the Nvidia GeForce GT 730M driver.  

Answer

The following step could address this:

1. Check that the HDMI output is connected directly to the Intel HD. 
  2. Uninstall Intel HD under Device Manager >> Control Panel>> Device Manager 
  3. Place a check under the prompt "Delete driver software for this device" , then restart your computer and install this :  Intel Video Driver for 64-bit Windows 

Was this information helpful?

Yes No

Comments

roey On 2014-08-01, 6:36 AM

I'm afraid I'm having a similar problem that I couldn't resolve.

I'm using a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (Windows 8.1 x64 bit), with an extended diaplay using a Sumasung monitor S24C750 with HDMI-micro-HDMI cable, and cannot hear audio through the Samsung monitor speakers.

In Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Sound \ Playback I see two options (disabled and disconneted devices are visible):

1) S24C750 (Intel(R) Display Audio)

2) Speakers  (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Even when I set the S24C750 as default device I get no sound. Its driver version is 6.16.0.3123 (driver date 8/29/2013) and when I try updating its driver I get the "Windows has determined the driver sodtware for your device is up to date" message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am feeling quite lost now.

Best

RugerRedhawk On 2014-08-14, 1:41 AM

This is still a problem for me using all the latest drivers, this unit from lenovo seems to have a lot of driver issues....

RugerRedhawk On 2014-08-14, 18:35 PM

Follow up, the suggested solution above worked! I already had this driver installed, was it the act of installing the driver while HDMI was hooked up that made the difference?

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Delete