Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vinzcha
Serial Port
Views: 895
Message 1 of 11

U530 defective hinge

Just throwing my hat in the ring for another PSA about this tragically flawed machine. Mine locked up at about 18 months old, which seems like I squeezed a few more months out of it than most other owners of this machine. After lots of time on the phone and a couple back and forth emails, the exchange offered from lenovo customer service for being sold a defective machine (no longer under the one year warranty) was a 25% refund and no functioning product. I'd been a lenovo customer for about the past 8 years, but this makes it very easy to never ever buy another product from this corporation.

I know that we live in an age of designed obsolesence in order to keep buying things, but this approach is deeply wasteful and costly to both consumers and the environment. Not to mention it seems borderline criminal. I know this comment won't change that, but I somehow feel like it's a duty to try to warn others, even though it's likely too late.

vinzcha
Serial Port
Views: 846
Message 2 of 11

Re: U530 defective hinge

Just an update, as I decided to try to pursue this with customer service again after not hearing a response after 2 weeks. Also, the review I posted on lenovo's website warning other customers about this computer/company was removed with no explanation.

After a few tries, I chatted with a very friendly and helpful customer service agent. Unfortunately, she could only help me far enough to get the attention of the "escalation" case manager who had otherwise ignored me for the past 2 weeks. However, I got a different response this time. While the first response was that "the parts needed to repair the hinge on your out of warranty system, are not available", the second response was that they could only offer a 25% refund "due to the time it's been out of warranty". 

I mean, I know it's a real bummer to deal with cases like this, especially when it's such a widespread issue, but you'd think there would be a better approach/response.

kathaa46
Paper Tape
Views: 778
Message 3 of 11

I am in the same position....18 months.  This is absolutely ridiculous.  I had Dell products before switching to Lenovo, because the quality was supposed to be better.  Ha!  My computer is never moved...only opened and closed...and for this to keep happening (wish I had reviewed previous posts) means that there is a design or equipment flaw.   Is this something that someone can self fix with a new hinge?  Bad bad public relations and I intend to tell everyone I know NEVER EVER to buy a Lenovo.

Mod edit: Please review the Forum Guidelines before posting comments.  The pertinent section for this edit is here:

-It is acceptable to state concern for how a particular Lenovo policy, performance, or procedure does or does not meet the expectation of a particular member, but it is not acceptable to use this forum in an attempt to broadly organize or incite members en mass, to cancel orders, return systems, undertake legal action or otherwise disrupt the normal business processes of Lenovo.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 769
Message 4 of 11

The following advice was posted in another thread, you need to contact support and reference TIP HT102591. Through contacting support you may request your issue to be reviewed by customer relations.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/IdeaPad-U530-Touch-Hinge-struck/m-p/203...

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

1folle
What's DOS?
Views: 716
Message 5 of 11

Andy, I too find myself with a broken hinge on my U530 after the warranty had expired (hinge broke after 20 months) Note: this computer was kept on a desk and rarely moved. 

The hinge design (glued to the touch screen) was clearly a poor one and I am sure that Lenovo has moved on from this design. I was pleased with this computer for the most part and will not discount buying another Lenovo because of this design flaw. However, I am disturbed to note that many customers are finding Lenovo's response to this flawed design less than satisfactory. I should like to know if Lenovo will be providing any credits toward a replacement computer for customers who purchased these flawed models. I have been told parts for repair are not available for my model by my local repair shop. 

Snerler
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 692
Message 6 of 11

My hinge was fixed free of charge back in August even though I'm way out of warrantee. The hinge was a known issue to them and they said on the phone that hinges are fixed out of warrantee for that reason. It’s so strange so many people got a totally different answer from Lenovo. 

Are you guy outside the United States?

irvin1
Punch Card
Views: 689
Message 7 of 11

I'm glad that you got your computer fixed, but it is very frustrating for so many of us who have the same issue and were treated shabbily by Lenovo. It has been over a year since I spent several months trying to get something done about my U530. My right hinge broke upon opening the laptop right at 6 months out of warranty. I left it open from that point on, and kept it on a desk, but that didn't stop gravity from having its say, and the strain from where the hinge attached to the screen caused the screen to crack soon after. 

irvin1
Punch Card
Views: 684
Message 8 of 11

I do not understand why owners of U530's keep being directed to this post which is originally from 2-23-2015 and only addresses computers that were in warranty then:

Lenovo Staff
Amy_Lenovo

Message 23 of 166 (7,412 Views)
Re: IdeaPad U530 Touch Hinge struck.[ Edited ]

Lenovo has concluded an investigation into reports of hinge mount failures on U430 Touch and U530 Touch laptops. If the laptop has not been dropped or otherwise damaged, and is under warranty, contact Lenovo Service for support. 

Please reference Service TIP HT102591.

Thank you,

Technical Resolution Lead, Pervasive Issues
Lenovo US
irvin1
Punch Card
Views: 682
Message 9 of 11

My last post was a reply to Administrator Andy at Lenovo, but there are intervening posts for some reason. Here is his post I replied to which is dated 9-2-2016 and refers people back to a post from Amy at Lenovo dated 2-23-2015:

The following advice was posted in another thread, you need to contact support and reference TIP HT102591. Through contacting support you may request your issue to be reviewed by customer relations.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/IdeaPad-U530-Touch-Hinge-struck/m-p/203...

Andy  

Here is Amy's post that his link goes to:

Re: IdeaPad U530 Touch Hinge struck.[ Edited ]

Lenovo has concluded an investigation into reports of hinge mount failures on U430 Touch and U530 Touch laptops. If the laptop has not been dropped or otherwise damaged, and is under warranty, contact Lenovo Service for support. Underlining, italics and bold is mine.

vinzcha
Serial Port
Views: 467
Message 10 of 11

Insignificant Update!

After my initial correspondence with customer service, they stopped responding to my questions and offered no help. Every few months, I'd resend an email (or 10) just for fun. I was still getting spam from Lenovo and it would remind me to pull up the ol' correspondence. 

Anyway I FINALLY GOT A RANDOM RESPONSE THIS MORNING!!!!

I mean, it basically said leave us alone and no one is paying attention to this problem anymore, but it was at least a response from a human being. 

Oh also, I wrote a review on the product page that was finally eventually published AFTER the product was removed from the website. Clever move Lenovo. 

Admin note; post edited in accordance with the Community Guidelines and Participation Terms.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors