06-18-2016

CA

6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 1 of 5

U530 rarely turns on

2016-06-18, 16:21 PM

Essentially, for the past few months, my lenovo has slowly been getting worse, but all of sudden it is terrible. Essentially, whenever it is turned off (or in hibernation, I believe), it refuses to turn on. When I press the power button, I get the keyboard back light (which I can turn on and off) and sometimes the fan briefly starts, then the screen just starts barely discernabley flashing, maybe every second or so. And that's it. It hangs there essentially indefinitely. Eventually, I can usually get it to turn on, but what used to take maybe 30 seconds now can take upwards of half an hour, or more. 

I cannot figure out why it does eventually turn on, or what sort of things are impacting it. I've tried unplugging everything, but it seems to work with everything plugged in as well. I've tried all manner of tilting the case, pressing on parts of the case etc. I've opened it up (I'm out of warranty anyways) as well. Disconnecting the battery and running a power cycle did nothing (though I should say I was unable to figure out how to disconnect the CMOS safely). I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the display and hard drive, as per a suggestion in another thread, but no luck. 

Any ideas? Tips for at least getting it to turn on? I need to reliably squeeze another week out of this at least before I even think about getting parts replaced (or just getting a new laptop...) 

Options

4 Posts

06-18-2016

CA

6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re: U530 rarely turns on

2016-07-16, 16:34 PM

Hate to double post, but I finally was forced to restart my computer, and now I am back in unbootable limbo. Does anyone have any advice for removing the CMOS battery? I really think that may have a shot at helping, but I cannot figure out how to safely remove it. 

Options

5558 Posts

06-27-2008

US

28478 Signins

1627007 Page Views

• Views: 1627007
  • Message 3 of 5

2016-07-16, 16:47 PM

Good day.

Looking at page 46 of the HMM: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_u530touch_hmm.pdf the CMOS battery should be visible on the right side of the system board once the bottom cover is removed:

In my experience with ThinkPads, the CMOS battery wires have a white plug on the end and, with caution not to break wires or the socket, can be disconnected. I've read that some machines have a soldered connection, though, but the image above seems to indicate a plug/socket arrangement. What are you seeing when you open the machine?

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

4 Posts

06-18-2016

CA

6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2016-07-16, 16:59 PM

I've attached a picture of mine. I know it seems kind of silly, but it just feels like it's taking too much force to unplug it, so I think I'm just doing it wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. 

Options

4 Posts

06-18-2016

CA

6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2016-07-19, 23:17 PM

Alright, so I went at it again, and finally managed to unplug the CMOS battery. I held down the power for thirty seconds, plugged it and the battery back in, and nothing. It still doesn't work, and I think I'm about at the end of the line for this thing. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete