Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pewterss911
Paper Tape
Views: 4,917
Message 1 of 3

U530 touch laptop, WiFi extremely slow

Just received my new laptop last week.  Over the course of the week, i noticed slow website loading, a 2.2mb fil taking 2 mins to download.  I went to speedtest.net and shocked to see the download speeds from .09mb - 5.43mb.  I have a 110MB down, 40MB up connection.  So i tested this with my other laptop and getting close to 30MB's better and expected.  I called Lenovo's tech suport they remoted into my machine and changed some configs in the advanced settings window of my adapter (Intel Wireless-N 7260).  Reboot, not any better.

Then they had me change the channel on my router from Auto to channel 9.  Rebooted the router and tested again and now I am getting between 12-21mb and 7mb up.  After we disconnected thinking everything was good now my dell latptop now is registering at 66-69MB down and 38-41mb up.  So the channel change made everything faster but now I am left wondering what is wrong with my new Lenovo U530, specs says it up to a 300mb connection, and mind you when you check the connection in networking and shaing, it says its connected at 144mbps... what gives.

I updated the BIOS on the machine, and even downloaded the new prowireless software from intels site but still getting 12mb-20mb download.  Is anyone else having this eperience or had it and know the fix?

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advanced.

John

pewterss911
Paper Tape
Views: 4,892
Message 2 of 3

Re: U530 touch laptop, WiFi extremely slow

pewterss911
Paper Tape
Views: 4,883
Message 3 of 3

Re: U530 touch laptop, WiFi extremely slow

So I took to the internet and did some research of my own. I found a thread on Intel's website that shows MANY people having the same problem when running the Intel 7260 adapter.  After reading alot I mixed around the settings and to my surprise I now have a 50+MB download, and 22mb upload connection.  

You will want to modify these settings in your Network Adapters ADVANCED SETTINGS.  Check them out and hopefully it will help someone else out.

HT Mode = HT Mode Only
Preferred Band = Prefer 2.4Ghz Band
Roaming Aggressiveness = Medium
U-APSD support = Disabled
Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g = 9
Wireless Mode = 802.11b/g

Also here is the link to the thread at intel site where I signed up and posted the same results.

https://communities.intel.com/message/265837?tstart=0#265837

Not sure why Intel doesn't fix these cards, or why Lenovo continues to put them in their machines if there is a know problem.  I have owned many laptops and never had I had to change settings like I had to today.  In any case I hope it holds up, otherwise I will have to return this laptop for a refund.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors