Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo U and S Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

56 Posts

04-11-2009

Germany

131 Signins

1474 Page Views

• Views: 1474
  • Message 61 of 123

Re: Fan Control for the S10(e) - user-developed solution

2009-05-26, 21:23 PM

@slash / all:

I've disabled a little battery-monitoring tool called Notebook BatteryInfo. Since then (two hours now) the battery icon stayed where it should be. Perhaps that is the application which causes this interference. Could anybody else check this out?

But I was sure I disabled it while testing S10FanControl, too...

@all:

I've made my automatic-NHC-config-tool capable of English language. It is German when you have a German Windows (1031) and English if not. It detects your model number and BIOS version and then writes the correct files to NHC's acpi directory. As always - you use it at your own risk. Here is the download link: http://forum.eeepcnews.de/download/file.php?id=1476 and a litte manual:

- NHC has to be installed

- If you've already used NHC, delete, move or rename existing lenovo.xml and s10e.cs in the NHC acpi directory, existing files are overridden without prompt.

- Simply extract the program and run the nhcc.exe, .NET Framework 2.0 is required (=> NHC needs it too...).

- At first you have to agree that you use the program at your own risk.

- Then the program asks you if you want to set your own default values or if you want to let it run without own config.

- In the settings window you can set all the values you want. On the left you see the values read out using WMI, in the middle you can set the thresholds and on the right you can set the fan speed

- Then click Execute. The program quits itself after the work is done or an error appeared.

- If you've already used NHC, it might continue running with our old settings. The values from the settings window become the new default values. NHC only uses the default values if it detects the new files as a new profile. If everything works as before everything is ok.

- It should work on every model with every BIOS. (confirmed only for BIOS >= 57)

Please test it and report any issues. Additional languages can be added by writing a INI file with the correct languageID.

Greetings

Carsten

Options

9 Posts

04-24-2009

singapore

26 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 62 of 123

2009-05-27, 12:59 PM

hi guys,

just to check, can these solutions (NHC, etc) actualy fix the loud fan noise when the s10 boots up? or it only controls the fan speed only after it goes into windows?

regards,

jason 

Options

56 Posts

04-11-2009

Germany

131 Signins

1474 Page Views

• Message 63 of 123

2009-05-27, 13:06 PM

Hi Jason,

the fan control only works as long as the program is running. The fan is controlled by the BIOS during boot-up, shutdown, going to standby/hibernation, waking up, in the BIOS itself and so on. You cannot start a application before Windows has booted.

Greetings

Carsten

Options

8 Posts

05-30-2009

London

32 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 64 of 123

2009-05-30, 15:43 PM

I am using S10e with Bios v66 and the S10Fan program is causing the machine to shut down if i leave the machine on for lengthy periods of time. I dont know if it is a heat problem or interference with the battery level, so the machine thinks the battery is dead. I kept the default values the program came with.

Also, i have to say the build quality of the Lenovo is shocking. The ESC, TAB and DEL keys no longer work without pressing them 2 or 3 times. The blue tooth controller stops working after a period of time and you have to reset it.

But i guess, made in china, just about says it all. What a complete waste of money.

Options

41 Posts

02-15-2009

Japan

64 Signins

716 Page Views

• Views: 716
  • Message 65 of 123

2009-05-30, 17:06 PM

toyomaster, you're running out of battery. I don't know about the other programs, but the S10Fan.exe is designed with a fail safe mechanism which makes the fan kick in before over heating.

Interesting, that makes it 3 people with the battery issue and all S10e bios 66. Any one else?

It would be more practical if Lenovo just put the temperature table in the EC register. Then the EC registers will only need to be written to once at boot time.

-Slash

Message Edited by slash on 05-30-2009 10:22 AM
Options

8 Posts

05-30-2009

London

32 Signins

178 Page Views

• Message 66 of 123

2009-05-30, 17:31 PM

Slash,

I wasnt blaming your utility. However, i ran 2 tests.

No S10Fan control loaded, left the machine plugged into mains for 24 hours. Didnt shut down.

S10Fan control loaded, left the machine plugged into mains for 24 hours. Machine shut down at some point.

In both tests no other applications were running apart from Windows XP desktop. The battery is holding its charge fine, its a 6 cell which lasts around 5 hours under normal operation.

I dont know the reason why this happens. I guess its something to-do with the Bios 66 ????

Options

41 Posts

02-15-2009

Japan

64 Signins

716 Page Views

• Views: 716
  • Message 67 of 123

2009-05-31, 4:31 AM

toyomaster, I know you're not blaming my utility. Let me just say that the utility is provided as is and you shouldn't hold too much expectations. All the methods provided in this thread is a hack and a dirty one, because we haven't found a direct way to control the fan speed. It would be a much less dirty hack if the fan's temperature table was exposed in the EC registers. I'm pretty frustrated that it is up to us users to work up a solution as Lenovo does not recognize that a quiet operation is a necessary function for an ultra portable laptop.

Anyway, I recommend using the "setup" button to determine your bios temperture thresholds. If my utility works for you great, if unfortunately not then please try other provided solutions.

It would probably be best to speak out and let Lenovo know that the fan being quiet (not just a matter of gratitude of temperature thresholds) is extremely important. You should use the other thread concerning fan noise for this. For now we are both stuck with this mediocre designed S10/S10e.

-Slash

Options

8 Posts

05-30-2009

London

32 Signins

178 Page Views

• Message 68 of 123

2009-05-31, 12:03 PM

Slash,

Many thanks for your reply.

Personally, on Monday i am lodging a claim under the sale of goods act here in the UK in the hope of getting a full refund. If successful then i will be buying a HP2140 Mini.

The service, or lack of it, from Lenovo is shocking.

Cheers.

Options

8 Posts

06-05-2009

Frankfurt

9 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 69 of 123

2009-06-05, 10:07 AM

Hi,

I have S9e. I'm also totally nerved by the fan noise. I saw the post and installed the fancontrol, unfortunately it didn't change a bit. The fan still kicks in as soon as the computer is switched on :smileysad: Or is that not working on S9e? Any tipps will be highly appreciated! :smileyhappy:

Thanks!

Options

56 Posts

04-11-2009

Germany

131 Signins

1474 Page Views

• Message 70 of 123

2009-06-05, 11:39 AM

Hi!

@Vit:

- Which fancontrol (there are three)?

- Which BIOS version?

- What do you mean with "as soon as the computer is switched on"? It's not possible to control the fan before Windows has booted and the application is loaded.

Greetings

Carsten

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms