cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JPFrustrated
What's DOS?
Views: 2,169
Message 1 of 5

Will a 802.11ac USB adapter work on IdeaPad U530?

I recently purchased an IdeaPad U530.  Around the same time, I purchased a NetGear Nighthawk AC 1900 Dual Ban (R7000) router.  All of my other devices connect no problem to the 5ghz wifi network from the router.  I realized the 5ghz band didn't show up on my U530, but the 2.4 ghz network appears.  

I did some investigation and found my new Lenovo laptop has a 7260 b/g/n card.  I thought, "That will be a simple fix, I will just replace it with an AC card."  Then I read:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/IdeaPad-u530-upgrade-to-802-11ac/td-p/13106...

and

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/WWAN-and-wireless-card-BIOS-whitelists-Lenovo-COME-O...

That was when I "unhappily" learned about Lenovo's "whitelists" for the first time.  I'm shocked that in 2014 I simply can't replace the wifi card in a laptop.  Had I learned about this sooner, the Lenovo would have gone back to BestBuy on principle.

I'm a basic user and I don't have the technical skill or time to deal with flashing BIOS, etc. . . so I have three questions.

1.  Will the Lenovo U530 allow me to use one of the 802.11ac USB adapters?

2.  Any recommendations on which USB adapter to use?

3.  Do I have to deactivate the Intel 7260 card before using the USB adapter?  If so, how do I do that?

Thanks!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,132
Message 2 of 5

Re: Will a 802.11ac USB adapter work on IdeaPad U530?

1.  Will the Lenovo U530 allow me to use one of the 802.11ac USB adapters?

IMHO why not? I use a usb dual wifi adapter myself although it's only a,b,g,n. It is more efficient than the built-in card.

2.  Any recommendations on which USB adapter to use?

Try going to Netgear's site and look for an AC dual band usb adapter to match your Netgear AC router.

3.  Do I have to deactivate the Intel 7260 card before using the USB adapter?  If so, how do I do that?

To avoid getting the system confused and make the setup of the usb adapter easier I think you can disable wifi in the bios. You will still have bluetooth functioning.

JPFrustrated
What's DOS?
Views: 2,119
Message 3 of 5

Thanks LenBlazer, I appreciate the help.  I found a Netgear adapter on Amazon and already ordred it.  It should be up and running by Thursday.

danieledelman81
Paper Tape
Views: 1,397
Message 4 of 5

Hi there. Would you mind updating me with which USB WiFi adapter you settled on? I am in the exact situation with the same model laptop, and I'd love some suggestions on what to purchase.  

donnavan
What's DOS?
Views: 1,243
Message 5 of 5

I have the same issue.  I bought an Asus USB N53 adapter, and with the adapter in, I can access the 2.5 GHz portion of our router, but my top speed is 144 mbps.  Does your solution allow you to access the 5 GHz part of the router?  My U530 computer does not see that network at all.

Without the adapter, my speed ranges from 60-80 mbps, very disappointing.  When I called in to Lenovo, the suggestion was to get the adapter.  I asked if I can just trade in my machine, since it is the slowest thing in the house now.  :-(  Of course, that option is not available, and actually, I love this machine other than the slow speed.  Unfortunately, my job is all about VPN over the wireless.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors