Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diggin4s
Punch Card
Views: 1,953
Message 1 of 9

XP to WIN7 with WIN VISTA upgrade media

Appears I ordered incorrect upgrade disk for my U330.

The tag on the bottom showed WINDOWS VISTA BUS OEM, actual system on board is XP.PRO, Cn I get away with using the shipped disk WIN7 upgrade media for WIN vistas IF I DO a CLEAN INSTALL, or should I try to purchase an XP to windows7 disk?

D

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,924
Message 2 of 9

Re: XP to WIN7 with WIN VISTA upgrade media

i haven't made any upgrade installation but you may need vista operation system while installing windows 7.

check your system for windows 7 with upgrade advisor and if it's possible to install windows 7 on your system, you may order windows 7 ( upgraded xp to windows 7 ) or just xp instead of these.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
diggin4s
Punch Card
Views: 1,885
Message 3 of 9

The problem was windows  tag on new keyboard laptop was delivered indicating "XP ready", license tag underneath said "windows vista bus OEMAct' Lenovo".

I ordered via Lenovo upgrade a disk for Vista To WIN7, unfortunately system has WIN XP as the operating system & by the time the upgrade disk arrived, the upgrade offer had expired.

CAN I risk using the VISTA to WIN7 upgrade disk doing a clean install?

I have avoided loading any new programs til I find a way of getting to WIN7 on this LENOVO U330 laptop.

Thanks

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,867
Message 4 of 9

it is important to check your system capability for windows 7, so please use uprade advisor.

by the way, can you tell me your model number ?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
diggin4s
Punch Card
Views: 1,851
Message 5 of 9

Upgrade advisor recommends Custom install 32 bit WIN7

Speed , RAM , & free space adequate

Model # R39Y39B26610

smittylube
Paper Tape
Views: 1,815
Message 6 of 9

just did mine. came with xp32 loaded, new vista in the box, ordered upgrade 32 bit win7 it is awesome now. everything works fantastic

steve

JohnM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,751
Message 7 of 9

Hello diggin4s,

You can perform a clean install from a Windows 7 upgrade version however you will have to have a valid previous copy of Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista installed to validate the upgrade and activate the product key. Please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.

For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee150430.aspx

thanks again,
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team

diggin4s
Punch Card
Views: 1,655
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for the reassurance, I've avoided getting to much on the machine till I try the upgrade disk

Regards

diggin4s
Punch Card
Views: 1,199
Message 9 of 9

Went from XP to WIN7 via the clean install route, minor issues involving touch pad mouse & start up booting.

Its working & with far less bloatware ever than HP or DELL.

Thanks to JohnM and others for making the effort to reply.

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors