Hoofddorp

1 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 2

how to retrieve the product key S21e-20

2015-12-15, 11:33 AM

Hello Support,

I have installed Windows 10 from USB key on my Lenovo S21e-20.

Now it is asking for the Windows Activation, and some where WIndows-10  knows it sould be like ******-8HVX7

I have called the supplier where I bought it from which is pointing to MS, and MS says you need the key from your seller.

Hopes I can retrieve the product key.

regards Gerard .

Solved! See the solution
Options

6093 Posts

02-11-2012

PH

4456 Signins

274702 Page Views

• Views: 274702
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: how to retrieve the product key S21e-20

2015-12-15, 12:45 PM

hi Gerard,

Welcome to the Forums.

Before you installed Windows 10, were you running an activated copy of Windows 8.1 64bit (preloaded) as listed in the specs sheet below?

Lenovo S21e Platform Specifications

Things to note:

1. if you're running Windows 8.1 64bit and you want to install Windows 10 Home 64bit, you will need to run the Windows 10 Upgrade installation first from either one of the following:

• Windows Update
  • Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
  • Windows 10 Setup (run inside Windows)

You can't clean install Windows 10 without going through the upgrade process first.

Article

How to Upgrade to Windows 10

2. If you were previously running on an unactivated copy of Windows 8.1 64bit and you clean installed Windows 10 via a bootable USB Windows 10 installer, you can only activate by using a retail key.

3. If you followed Step 1 above and successfully upgraded and activated Windows 10 Home 64bit, it syncs your hardware info and registers it to the Microsoft servers.

4. If you wanted to clean install Windows to remove the bloatwares then Windows 10 Home 64bit should automatically activate Windows without the need of a product key after installation. 

When running tools like ShowKeyPlus to find out the product key installed on the Win10 machine, the key that you will get is just a generic key that install Windows.10.

How to View the Product Key in Windows 10

If you made changes to the hardware (e.g., SSD upgrade) prior to reinstalling Windows 10 then you may need to activate by phone

Additional reference:

Why can't I activate Windows 10?

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete