Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
milwaukeephil
Punch Card
Views: 12,614
Message 1 of 8

ideapad u410 battery life experience

Hi all... I registered here to share my experience with you and try to get an idea if I'm the only one experiencing what I feel is short battery life on my U410.

I bought the machine 2 days ago through Costco.com (best price, even with shipping and tax, that I could find for the u410 with 750gb HDD, 32gb SSD, I5 Ivy Bridge).

All marketing and product descriptions on lenovo.com, amazon, costco, etc. claim 8-9 hours of useful batery life.

On a full charge, I'm getting about 2.5 hours. The battery life was 80% of the selling point for me... I could have bought a beefier laptop with twice the video ram and a quad core processor for the same price and got a couple hours of battery life. I wanted to be able to work most of the day with the freedom of being cordless.

I'd love to hear what other people are getting on similar models. I could understand if 9 hours really meant 6 hours in real-world use, but not 2.5 hours for an Ultrabook.

In the meantime, costco is sending me a new one to try, so I'll try to report back if the new unit is any different.

By the way, the idiot at lenovo tech support told me that 2.5 hours is normal, and 9 hours is if the computer is idle. That doesn't explain the screenshot below, which is the computer, freshly booted, after a night on the charger. Note that it's also on power saver mode.

power.png

engyi
What's DOS?
Views: 12,497
Message 2 of 8

Re: ideapad u410 battery life experience

HI, i am also experiencing the same problem as you but in fact i think mine is worst. WIthin 2 hours if can drop from 100% to 10% with just videos and songs
shatteredgear
Punch Card
Views: 12,495
Message 3 of 8

shouldnt believe everything you hear, if you watch a lot of videos and play games the battery wont last as long as advertised, i learned that a long time ago, my u410 i bought because it has a better design than other laptops lol getting sick of having plastic

CanadianJak0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,264
Message 4 of 8

Glad to see I'm not the only one concerned with the battery life. Lenovo states on their website it should get 8-9 hours of battery life, I know that means more like 5-6 hours. Currently I'm only getting about 4-4 1/2 hours on Power Save with screen brightness set just above half. I web surf, and listen to music on Youtube and plug in when I play games. I'm concerned I may have a bad battery or that there is something significant that I am missing to extend my battery life.

If anyone has anything to add to this, please feel free.

milwaukeephil
Punch Card
Views: 12,195
Message 5 of 8

@CanadianJak0 wrote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one concerned with the battery life. Lenovo states on their website it should get 8-9 hours of battery life, I know that means more like 5-6 hours. Currently I'm only getting about 4-4 1/2 hours on Power Save with screen brightness set just above half. I web surf, and listen to music on Youtube and plug in when I play games. I'm concerned I may have a bad battery or that there is something significant that I am missing to extend my battery life.

If anyone has anything to add to this, please feel free.

See my comment about Quick Update over here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/How-long-of-battery-life-can-you-actually-get...

CanadianJak0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,190
Message 6 of 8

Fantastic! I checked Resource Monitor and Smart Update was consuming 25% of my CPU usage, just like you said! Crazy!! I just uninstalled the Lenovo Smart Update software - I don't have any use for this anyway. Here's hoping I see an improvement. I'll post back in a few days with an update.

Thanks milwaukeephil, greatly appreciate the tip =)
TXAgs18
Punch Card
Views: 12,175
Message 7 of 8

From what I've read the battery life gets better after a week of use since you are letting it drain then recharge a few times.  By the way, the windows battery life estimator is always wrong.  Don't trust it.  It fluxuates so much that you don't know how much battery life you're actually getting.  I've had the battery life increase while the percentage has decreased, if you can believe that.  

Keep me posted on what you guys find.  I bought mine from Costco and received it on Tuesday of this week.  So far I am loving it and really cannot complain about the battery life.  I doubt it is a bad battery.  Could just be the 'claimed' 9 hours is basically with everything not running and all of the settings turned down.  If I can get five hours of continuous use I'm happy.

CanadianJak0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,924
Message 8 of 8

I'm back to report about the battery life after uninstalling the SmartUpdate software and using the computer over the past couple of weeks. I am, unfortunately, still not getting great battery life. I can SQUEEZE out around four hours in power save mode with the brightness dimmed to about 50-60%. I'm not using my U410 for more than surfing the internet and streaming music from CBCMUSIC. As I type this out on my U410 I'm at 85% battery life with an estimated 2:50 minutes remaining.

I am disappointed to say the least based on my results. My Toshiba L750D from over a year ago can last around six to seven hours when in "Eco" mode. I paid $500 for the Toshiba brand new and it holds a charge much longer?! An ultrabook is supposed to have at MINIMUM five hours of battery life. 

/sigh

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors