Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
perrson22
Paper Tape
Views: 713
Message 1 of 8

lenovo u400 laptop randomly shuts off

Occasionally the computer will shutoff randomly with no warnings as if the battery got somehow disconnected I think this might be some sort of hardware problem. is there anything I can do to fix this?

Former Employee
Views: 699
Message 2 of 8

Re: lenovo u400 laptop randomly shuts off

Hi perrson22,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. At this point it is hard to say if it is a hardware problem or not ut we may need to check on a few things first. 

Firstly I'd like to know when this issues started happening? Are you currently running on Win7 or Win8? 

What I suggest is if you to update all the drivers on your machine from the lenovo support site and check for the changes then. Please go to the support site http://support.lenovo.com to download all available drivers for yor machine.

Do let me know of the results.

Regards

perrson22
Paper Tape
Views: 689
Message 3 of 8

im actually not sure when this started happening i know only that this only happened a few times and im running windows 7 i will update the drivers but since this doesn't happen often i will not know if that fixed it also i read something that said if i update the bios that it might fix the problem is there a bios update available for my computer?
Former Employee
Views: 674
Message 4 of 8

Hi perrson22,

Thanks for posting.

Currently there is no BIOS release for the U400 as we have not had any major issues that require a BIOSES to be released. However it you case I would suggest you to update all the drivers listed in the support site and check for the changes. But for starters Update the Intel management firmware Engine first and check for the changes then also update the Lenovo Powermanagement.. Click on the link below to download the IME.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS027251 (Intel Management Firmware engine)

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS022704 (Lenovo Power Manager)

hope this helps.

Regards

perrson22
Paper Tape
Views: 660
Message 5 of 8

i just thought of something that may be important to mention, i nearly bricked my computer when i removed a linux distro improperly and when i did it would not let me boot even from a cd so i had to use the one key recovery feature and i know that the computer hasn't crashed in that way before that and now the one key recovery no longer works i have tried reinstalling the one key recovery but the computer will no longer boot into that mode and for a short time the system clock was messed up
perrson22
Paper Tape
Views: 630
Message 6 of 8

i have upgraded the drivers as you have told me to do but my laptop did this again except it was a random restart instead of a shutdown.
jha900
Paper Tape
Views: 601
Message 7 of 8

I have had this exact same problem. My u400 randomly just shuts down. The drivers are all up to date etc. Can support please post recommendation. Thanks

perrson22
Paper Tape
Views: 586
Message 8 of 8

unfortunately i don't think that support is going to reply to this post again Smiley Sad but can you make your own post and tell me if they found a solution?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors