Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KitchenParty
Blue Screen Again
Views: 995
Message 1 of 6

lenovo u530 touch intense fan noise

Yesterday at night i was normally using my laptop when it started making a really loud fan noise (see video). it normally makes quite a loud noise but this time it was really loud. I used the dust removal but it made no difference and when i shut it down it stopped. using it now it hasnt been making the loud sound so i think it mightve been a one off  I always keep it flat on a table so that might have something to do with it and the laptop is out of warranty. I have been thinking about opening the back and cleaning but i dont have the right screwdriver so that will have to wait.

another thing - fan dust removal doesnt seem to reduce noise at all.

what it usually sounds like

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 969
Message 2 of 6

Re: lenovo u530 touch intense fan noise

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

The first step would be to clean the fan and heat sink if it's never been done.  Accumulated dust may have built up on the fans blades which can lead to additional noise and inefficient cooling.  The easiest way is to open the back and use a can of compressed air to blow it out.  You could also try using the canned compressed air in each of the vents if you do not wish to remove the back cover, but removing the cover gives you better access.  I would do the cleaning outside in order to eliminate the dust from flying around indoors.  Just use short bursts of air to clean as a prolong blast may damage the fan. If the noise continues after a cleaning then I would consider replacing the fan.

Here is a link to your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual that will explain how to remove and replace various items such as the back cover for your reference.....

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_u530touch_hmm.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

KitchenParty
Blue Screen Again
Views: 961
Message 3 of 6

what screwdriver do i need? the screws look really small and i cant find it in the manual

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 956
Message 4 of 6

I'm not an owner of your model so I can't say for sure, but looking my various Lenovo laptops it will be either a phillips or torx head screw.  The phillips head has an cross pattern where as the torx head is a six point star pattern.  On my Lenovos the torx heads will take a T5 driver.  The torx drivers can be purchased in a set so you will have mulitple sizes just in case.  Here is one example of a retailer in the U.S. that offers a torx driver set....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-1-Precision-Torx-Screwdriver-Set-70381H/204664390

A similar precision phillips head driver set.....

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26194-Screwdriver-Phillips-Precision/dp/B000NZ5QGK

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

KitchenParty
Blue Screen Again
Views: 942
Message 5 of 6

its a cross screw so it is philips but it looks smaller than PH00

here are some pictures:IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0218.JPGIMG_0218.JPGIMG_0219.JPG

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 936
Message 6 of 6

Yes, the screws are definitely phillips.  Although I can't say for certain, yours are similar in size to the ones on my Thinkpad Yoga and a phillips P0 has a good fit.  If you are in doubt then get a precision phillips set that covers a range of the smaller sizes.  Once you have a set you will find other uses for them as well.

Edit: corrected typo

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors