Did you mean: 
tbtoni
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,761
Message 1 of 4

miniPC ssd for u410

hi everybody

i wonder if any lenovo tech assistant may give me following suggestion:

i did succeed on upgrading my  notebook to win 8 ony after having given up to intel rapid storage and separating ssd from hdd, installing win  8 OS on  first one, system was skyrocketing but......

being ssd only 32 GB after one week i  had to  come back to win 7 being win 8  a hard disk space eater, i realized i could not afford space availaability any longer, while  under win 7  i can easily manage .

Asked suggestion, affter above preamble is

1 it is better to  change only mini PC with a bigger one  i.e 120 gb

2 it is better to change  hdd with a smaller  ssd , always 128 gb and installing os on  this one, keeping mini pc for bitlocker utilization.

my doubts come out only because i feel mini pcs are not as fast  as plain ssd discks

thanks  a lot for  your welcome advice

regards

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,751
Message 2 of 4

Re: miniPC ssd for u410

hi tbtoni,

The sole purpose of the 32GB mSATA SSD drive is to cache data via the Intel Smart Response Technology.

If you're planning to:

1. Upgrade the 32GB mSata SSD to 120GB and use the INtel Smart Response Technology to cache data, it will be good as the size is big but it will not really take that much space to cache the data (20Gb or below is already good enough for caching). If you're planning to install the OS on the mSATA SSD, It'll also be good but not as fast as using a 2.5 SATA SSD.

2. Upgrade the 2.5 SATA HDD to a 2.5 SATA SSD and make it as a primary drive, this will improve over all performance especially if you get the OCZ Vertex 4 SATA III 2.5 SSD or similar.as the read/write speed is much faster than the mSATA SSD. Check this review.

Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

tbtoni
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,636
Message 3 of 4

hi neokenchi

thank a lot, your suggestion  was the  one  i  myself did wish to receive , i will buy a SSD drive and install system on it.

regards

robson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,855
Message 4 of 4

Where to get OS install files? once remove the HDD we don't have any instlall files available.

Thanks,

Robin

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors