cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scorpion0x17
HDMI
Views: 1,670
Message 1 of 6

nVidia ION chipset (nForce) reference drivers on S12-ION?

Is anyone else running the latest nVidia ION chipset (nForce) reference drivers on their S12-ION?

I installed them the other day and, though overall performance has improved, I'm getting occasional lock-ups (the CPU goes 100%, HDD light continuous on, mouse pointer moves, but can't task switch or click on anything - stays like that few a good 5-10secs or so, then will go back to normal - happens mostly just after start-up from cold, or when shutting down IE after long period of surfing).

Note: I'm talking about the chipset (nForce) drivers, not the ones for the GPU - I want to wait for nVidia to un-bork the notebook package before I try those...

Scott
slim142
Punch Card
Views: 1,625
Message 2 of 6

Re: nVidia ION chipset (nForce) reference drivers on S12-ION?

You know is ironic that was happening to me too?

One morning I woke up, it was freakin cold so I turned the netbook on, startup items wouldnt even finish loading and the netbook would lock up. All lights stayed ON and no task manager would open. Mouse would still move.

I thought, well maybe too much stuff for atom and just 1.7gbs to handle. What I did was disable almost everything on startup even the bluetooth thing (which I think did the trick) since the chances of using it are 1 in 1000.

go to msconfig and disable everything you dont need. I just left the basic stuff, nvidia crap, lenovo energy management, windows live messenger and the audio drivers.

Scorpion0x17
HDMI
Views: 1,604
Message 3 of 6

Yeah, I'd already msconfig'd away some start up stuff, and that had helped a little, but I'm still getting lock-ups from time to time.

What I'm not sure about is how much of that is due to the nVidia reference drivers, and how much is something else.

Slim: could you clarify something: have you installed the latest chipset drivers from nVidia? or are you using the Lenovo provided chipset drivers?

Anyway, as I said in another thread - going to do a factory recovery and reinstall of stuff this evening - will try to figure out how much difference the different drivers make.

Scott
slim142
Punch Card
Views: 1,585
Message 4 of 6

Im using Nvidia 15.46WHQL ION Chipset Drivers for XP.

Scorpion0x17
HDMI
Views: 1,506
Message 5 of 6

First up, there's a newer version (well, for Win7 there is at least).

BUT!

Did you install both the SMU and Storage components?

If so, you may need to roll back to a restore point, if you can - I've been doing re-installs and testing different software setups (on which note, will have lots to say about OneKey in teh very near future (got some final configuration to do, but then will spend the time to write up my findings properly...) anyway, back to the nVidia driver...) - it appears that there may be an issue with the Storage component.

Basically, I decided to see what HDD performance difference it made having the nVidia drivers installed, so did a Factory Defaults restore, ran a HDD benchmark (HDTune), then installed the complete 15.51 (latest version) nVidia chipset drivers, re-ran HDTune, and it blue-screened!

I then re-Factory Defaulted, and just installed the SMU component, but not the Storage component, and HDTune worked fine.

Then I re-re-Factory'd, and just installed Storage component, not SMU - blue-screen again.

Now have gone back to SMU and only, and got everything else re-setup, and, hmm, maybe performance is a little better, maybe slightly little less locky-uppy - a bit early to be sure.

BUT!

Of course, as you're on an earlier driver  version, you may not get any of the above issues anyway...

Actually, would you mind giving HDTune a run (see link above)?

If it blue-screens, just wait for it to reboot and boot into windows normally, and it should be ok, as you don't run HDTune again.

If it doesn't blue screen, it means the newer version is bad and should be avoided (and I need to hunt down an earlier version).

EDIT (and bit in brackets on first line): Just realised the fact you're on XP could make a whole world of difference to all the above as well...

Scott
slim142
Punch Card
Views: 1,422
Message 6 of 6

Hey Scorpion

I can check and run HDTune if you want so we can kinda compare results and see how much difference there is between XP and 7.

Yes, I also noticed that, when installing my nForce drivers, I asked myself if I should have unchecked the Storage drivers (Since they were already slipstreamed into the XP bootable USB), but I clicked yes.

It hasnt been bothering that much lately. I think I should upgrade my RAM so the system doesnt need to use my HDD for pagefile, which might help too.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors