Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 5 (511 Views)

possible hardware issues (ACPI and USB)

I don't have windows on my new U300s (deleted it). I'm regretting doing that without at least booting windows once because I've hit some fairly annoying bugs that look like BIOS bugs. Now I'm wondering if can I update my BIOS without windows. If not, can I send it to Lenovo to do the update for me? Will that cost me money? The problems I'm having with the laptop are mostly ACPI related. Linux can't use the ACPI interface to request a shutdown. Also, my webcam isn't showing up on the USB bus at all anymore. Not sure how to report these problems to Lenovo since Linux isn't supported. I can backup my Linux install, so re-installing windows isn't a problem if I have to.

Community Moderator
Message 2 of 5 (470 Views)

Re: possible hardware issues (ACPI and USB)

it's suggested to update bios under windows and as you said, there would be no problem to install windows for temporary so why don't you try that option first?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 5 (461 Views)

I haven't got any windows CDs. I know I own a copy because I have the windows licence sticker on the bottom of this laptop. Can I use that key with any windows install CD?

Also, I just checked and I have BIOS version 42. The latest is 43 and the only change is the processor getting stuck in lower P-states. I haven't noticed that on my computer.

Community Moderator
Message 4 of 5 (452 Views)

You can use your Windows key to activate an install from Microsoft media, as long as they are the same version (home premium, pro, etc). 32 or 64 bit doesn't matter.  You may need to use the phone option to complete activation.

If you are just looking to use Windows briefly for BIOS update, you don't really need to activate at all.

You can borrow an install DVD or use this link for a legit downlolad: Legal Resources for Downloading Windows 7

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Community Moderator
Message 5 of 5 (451 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi chris_harvey,

You can download a legal image of 7 from here .  Make sure you download the same version that's on your sticker.

Dave

Edit:  Z beat me to it.Smiley Happy

Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count