cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richardwun
Paper Tape
Views: 3,089
Message 1 of 7

u310 not able to recover using OneKey Recovery - "Factory Default Recovery Disc"

Not able to do full recovery on u310...

I have created "Factory Default Recovery Disc" previously and have 3 DVDs.  No matter what I tried I'm getting this Notice on trying to recovery from factory DVDs.

"The program cannot restore the system partition because its structure is incorrect.  You may have to recreate the partition to continue."

When I click "OK" it goes back to the "Welcome to Lenovo OneKey Recovery" screen.  I'm not able to get past this error.

richardwun
Paper Tape
Views: 3,086
Message 2 of 7

Re: u310 not able to recover using OneKey Recovery - "Factory Default Recovery Disc"

Adding... The NOVO key recovery does not work.

lnealley
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,036
Message 3 of 7

Re: u310 not able to recover using OneKey Recovery - "Factory Default Recovery Disc"

I'm having the same exact problem.  No idea how to fix it...

lnealley
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,028
Message 4 of 7

Also, I don't remember ever repartitioning my drives.  I decided today I wanted a fresh factory settings.... backed everything up on an external drive, and when i wanted to start doing recovery settings, I get the same error-

"The program cannot restore the system partition because its structure is incorrect. You may have to recreate the partition to continue."

What partition is it talking about? So lost... have searched all over google, not finding anything Smiley Sad

richardwun
Paper Tape
Views: 3,016
Message 5 of 7

Adding what I tried which didn't work....

1.  Deleted all partitions on 500GB drive.

2.  BIOS setting AHCI.

3.  BIOS disable UEFI boot.

4.  BIOS disable Intel Rapid Start.

Does anyone know what OneKey recover is checking before it can continue?

Leadroady
Paper Tape
Views: 2,941
Message 6 of 7

According to the Lenovo U310 service manual:

"When the hard disk drive or solid state drive is replaced because of a failure, no
product recovery program is on the new drive. In this case, you must use the
Recovery Disc Set for the computer. Order the Recovery Disc Set and the drive at
the same time so that you can recover the new drive with the pre-installed
software when they arrive."

I have the original drive that has no apparent fault, other than its "structure is incorrect". It is an AF drive. If I plug in an unpartitioned non-AF drive, the recovery disks work just fine.

So between these two facts, the suggestion that replacement drives are ordered from Lenovo and the observation that non-AF drives work unhindered, it would seem that the recovery software suffers a KNOWN issue with AF drives, for which there is no publicised fix - other than getting a replacement drive or preconfigure, courtesy of Lenovo.

I have tried various combinations of present and deleted partitions, same error. About to try presenting the drive with deliberately shrunk OS partition @ 128gb.... Didn,t work.

We'll see what happens.

Now tried with a non-AF 500gb WD drive, loads up no problem; which adds weight to the idea that this issue is something to do with AF drives. However, it's possible that what I am seeing is some esoteric failing in the original Hitachi AF drive. Next up, run full Hitachi diagnostic.

Incidentaly, a low level format of the Hitachi drive - as suggested in the manual - made no difference.

See what the diagnostic tells me...

Short SMART test - PASS

Long test - FAIL on surface test!!!!

Now running Extended SMART....

Well the extended SMART came up clean, so did a full lowlevel format - not using hitachi rediness tool as it doesn't clear the lot - still no change.

So it's down to one thing - the surface error that the hitachi long test (the one in the utilities menu) picked up.

Before I condemn this drive (though in all other respects, it seems to work fine), I'm trying a long shot workaround and ghosting the install from the WD non-AF drive, onto the Hitachi - fingers crossed....

Well, this cunning ploy revealed the very same BSOD that stated all this. Given the surface test FAIL, it's go get a replacement drive of 7mm spec. The WD I have is 9mm and won't fit...

Of course, this may be a hardware problem with the controller - but on balance, I think not.

Will post an update once the replacement drive arrives. In the meantime, to anyone having the same problem:

If possible, connect your HDD via USB to another PC, Download and install WinDRT from hitachi (http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads), run the program, select your drive and then choose utilities - then run the long test (this is not the same as extended SMART). If you get "surface fail", we are in the same boat. That being the case, what happens next for me could be relevant for you. Watch this space.

Leadroady
Paper Tape
Views: 2,898
Message 7 of 7

Further to my previous post, I have now received a replacement hard drive, bought from Ballicom for 36 quid. It is an identical drive to the original. There are slim (7mm) Western Digital drives available, which cost around 40 quid (GBP). Given the ease of instalation with the HGST drive and the fact that I did a trial install with a WD non-AF drive, I see no reason why a WD could not be used - might well last longer....

I installed the drive without any preparation of any kind, so the recovery disk set was presented with a fresh from the factory, un-partitioned drive. It loved it. (For reference, BIOS settings were system default - sata in RAID mode.)

32 minutes later, Win7 is up and running, with the entire drive partitioned and a nice new recovery partition in place.

So in a nutshell, if you get this issue that Onekey recovery simply won't play, get the hard disk out and into another machine (or use USB dock or other USB connection) and run WinDRT, making sure you run the long test from the Utilities menu. If you have this problem, your drive will likely fail this test, reporting "surface test: fail" At this point, you replace your hard drive and recover using a dvd recovery set (which you can get from Lenovo, but Lord knows what they cost).

As to the stated "partition structure is incorrect" error, it would seem that this is actually affecting boot or master boot record. The dud drive I have passes all other testing, with no bad sectors reported in any partition - even using the full CHKDSK test, /r switch; that test does not scrutinise the boot record areas. Why there would seem to be some duplication of what would seem should be a rare error, is open to conjecture - is there an esoteric problem with this particular HGST drive? The drive is now residing in an external enclosure and is no longer required for (or capable off) booting - we'll see how long it lasts as a slave...

WinDRT can be downloaded from: http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads

If you have stumbled on this post and 1. do not have this problem and 2. do not have a recovery disk set; get an external DVD writer and create a set - you may well need it.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors