Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duckhunter9
What's DOS?
Views: 1,438
Message 1 of 6

u310 touch shuts down randomly with no warning

I just purchased my u310 touch from Staples tonight.  Within the first hour, while using it, it just shut off.  No "Windows is shutting down..." screen.  It was like it just ran out of battery (even though it was plugged in and the icon said it was plugged in and charging at 55%).

After some googling and seeing similar issues with the 310 and the 410, I tried installing the latest drivers that the support staff on this forum linked.  I installed every single one relevant to my machine, ensuring I chose the correct driver for my OS (win8 64).  Still  happening.

The event viewer shows: Source: Kernel Power.  Description: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.  This error coudl be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

So, I reset everything back to factory settings using the built-in restore partition.  Still broken.

I'm at a loss here.  Any ideas?  If I can't figure it out soon, I'll just return it to Staples in a few days.  Thank god they have a great return policy!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,407
Message 2 of 6

Re: u310 touch shuts down randomly with no warning

hi duckhunter9,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Can you try to:

1. Download and install HWMonitor and observe your CPU and GPU temps. (if you reach temps above 100°C, overheating might be the cause of your issue)

2. Perform a clean boot and observe the PC. (this isolates 3rd party apps that might be the cause of the problem)

Let me know your findings,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

duckhunter9
What's DOS?
Views: 1,392
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply.  I did monitor heat and it was within normal.

Just to clarify, this happened out of the box with nothing installed.  I even removed the bloatware installed, including McAfee and it made no difference.

There was no change after doing a factory reset.  In fact, it even powered off WHILE in the middle of a factory reset, which makes me think it wasn't just a Windows 8 driver compatibility issue.

I think there's some serious hardware issues with a batch of these, even the new ones made after July of 2012 (when they supposedly fixed the wifi issue).  Mine was made in May of 2013 and still had the wifi issues, even with the new drivers installed.

Needless to say, I took it back to Staples for a full refund and got a reliable computer (Asus).

EPH3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,175
Message 4 of 6

I have the same problem. It started happening just before my 1 year warranty ended. Only mine would shut down when I moved the monitor so it wasn't as random. I returned to Lenovo and they replaced the entire display and said it was fixed.

A few weeks later (after the warranty was expired) I noticed that the edge of the display was lifting. You can press on the edge and the glass flexes and makes a click, like it is trying to stick to the adhesive behind it. So I called Lenovo and they said it wasn't their problem because the warranty was expired. But they put a "new" defective display on my computer!

Then a couple weeks later random shut downs started again. Now it is just once every few days, without moving the display, just working and instant black screen shut down. Great. Now what do I do!?! I am sure Lenovo won't fix it.

Anyone else have this issue and get any resolution?

EPH3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,140
Message 5 of 6

Still happening. Tried to disable the Wifi card as some have suggested. Used a USB dongle for a while and still get random shut downs. No real improvement. Anyone have a good solution? Getting very frustrated since Lenovo is not willing to help!!

AlexBeam
What's DOS?
Views: 456
Message 6 of 6

Yes, I have this same problem, have had it for quite a while ... HELP appreciated 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals