Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bloody_hammer
Paper Tape
Views: 25,332
Message 1 of 13

unknown "system password" (aka BIOS password) on Ideapad U530

Hi-

I have been slowly struggling with a password issue with my Ideapad U530 over the last few months.  The problem is, when I try to acces the BIOS via the Novo button, I am asked for a "system password". However, I did NOT set this password, so I cannot access the BIOS.

In terms of other passwords, such as Windows User/Admin, and boot, there is no problem.

The only unique thing that I have done with this machine which I could think of the <might> be related to the BIOS password issue, is that I used the Novo button to access the built-in restore tool (I forget what Lenovo calls it exaclty, but it is a system restore application), and I told the machine to re-image itself back to the built-in, out-of-box image. This process worked fine, though, and logic would tell me that this c/would <not> affect the BIOS.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for reading and/or replying.

-Chris

p.s. - USB booting appears to be disabled. Actually, that was why I first tried to access the BIOS ...to enable USB booting. So, my ability to troubleshoot may be heavily limited by my inability to boot to the internal hybrid HD.

p.p.s - the machine is under warranty until September of this year. I've spoken twice with Lenovo support, who were unable to help me. They mentioned the possibility of removing the SMOC battery, though I believe that this will not work since it is the year 2015. They also referred me to the retail seller, aka, Best Buy. I actually phoned Best Buy, who referred me to the store. I visited the store and ...as expected, they were not able to help me.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 25,306
Message 2 of 13

Re: unknown "system password" (aka BIOS password) on Ideapad U530

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of your problems.  With a laptop, removing the battery will not clear a BIOS related password.  That only works with desktop models.  Unfortunately forum rules prohibit further discussion on how to circumvent the BIOS password.  This is due to the ease in which laptops can be stolen.  I would suggest contacting Best Buy again and see if they can further assist you especially if the laptop you purchase had been a floor display.  Otherwise the only remedy to the password problem would be to replace the motherboard.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

bloody_hammer
Paper Tape
Views: 25,301
Message 3 of 13

Hi Guru-

Thanks for your reply. I understand your message. At this point, I am
extremely frustrated ...I have a laptop which I purchased, and which is
under warranty. I did NOT set the BIOS password. I have twice spoken with
Lenovo, who supply the warranty. They referred me to Best Buy. I spoke with
Best Buy, and on their suggestion I made time to visit one of their stores.
The people at the store told me they could not help me. They did, however,
tell me that from time to time they receive brand new Lenovo laptops which
have unknown BIOS passwords set, and when this occurs they must send them
back to Lenovo for repair. This whole process of trying to get support took
me hours of my personal time.

So, now I am trying to remedy the problem on my own. I have turned to what
seems to be the best place to get help, ie, the Lenovo forum for this
model, and now I am told that you are cutting off my thread.

Frankly, everything that Lenovo has done and not done so far has been bad
customer service. I bought this laptop and I have the receipt to prove it.
It is under warranty, and yet nobody can help me. Again, I did NOT set the
BIOS password.

Would I be able to deal directly with Lenovo to get the system board
replaced under the terms of my warranty? I would prefer not to leave my
laptop at Best Buy.

Thank you.
-Chris

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 25,291
Message 4 of 13

Sorry for your frustration. 

The discussion about your unknown password problem can go on forever.  Only when the discussion starts to get technical such as removing batteries or other methods does it violate the forum's policy.  I'm not a Lenovo employee, only a volunteer who has to follow the rule like everyone else. 

If Best Buy has encountered this problem before and has sent laptops into Lenovo for service then why not see if they will send yours in as well.  Your receipt proves it was purchased from them, they've encounter this problem before and they missed checking yours before it was sold. 

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

bloody_hammer
Paper Tape
Views: 25,155
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for your reply, mate. I appreciate it. Fact is, I have very limited time that I can devote to solving this problem. Like everyone, I am a busy person.

I could describe some other technical things I have tried to do w/ regard to solving this issue, but they'd probably violate the rules, and they didn't work anyway.

To answer your question, I would prefer not to deal with Best Buy. I have found (and read) that the level of service at their Geek Squad desks varies quite a bit from store to store. They are inconsistent. If all they are going to do is mail the laptop to Lenovo, then I would prefer to deal directly with Lenovo.

I have supported computer labs and done plenty of repairs on my own. I have dealt with Lenovo, Dell and Apple while working as a technician. Where I worked, we had service contracts with these companies. I would often phone them, diagnose over the phone, and receive parts and do my own repairs. For laptops, the company would frequently send me a nice, empty box so that I could send it back to them for repair. My hope is that I can deal directly with Lenovo and have them send me a box to my home address.

Do you know if they do this? Honestly, when I spoke with Lenovo support (twice) I didn't get the sense the the people I spoke with had the knowledge or authority to help me. It felt like passing the buck.

Thanks again.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 25,148
Message 6 of 13

I have never heard of Lenovo sending out a mailer for a warranty work.  That would be a question would best asked of Lenovo Support.  If you're not getting your questions answered by the intial contact person then I would suggest asking to speak to a supervisor. 

An alternative would be to see if there is an authorized service center near you where you could deliver it personally and speak directly to them.  Check out the service center locator below.  Prior to searching be sure to check the box for Warranty Service Provider.

http://bplocator.lenovo.com/

bloody_hammer
Paper Tape
Views: 25,122
Message 7 of 13

This is great! Thanks for the link to the locator ...I was not aware that places like this existed. 

Jcarballo
What's DOS?
Views: 16,588
Message 8 of 13

Re: unknown "system password" (aka BIOS password) on Ideapad U430

Pelase help me. unknown "system password" (aka BIOS password) on Ideapad U430. I can't configure bios . 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 16,564
Message 9 of 13

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Jcarballo !

Due to the ease in which laptops are stolen, discussions related to resolving unknown or forgotten BIOS passwords is limited.  There is no master password or magic back door that will get around that  password.  If you did not set a BIOS password then quite possibly someone else did while using your laptop.  Check with friends and family.  Otherwise the only other resolution to the problem is to have the motherboard replaced. Sorry!

Jcarballo
What's DOS?
Views: 16,426
Message 10 of 13

Oh god, I need to change the motherboard. How many cost that? I live in Nicaragua, I think that is an  issue for me. I spent much money, and now  I can not repair Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals