cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 5,452

This article was updated on August 27 to point to the new Enterprise version of Lenovo Vantage (20.1908.3.0).  It is exactly the same as the previous version 4.27.32.0, except a different version number.  This will prevent the Microsoft Store from updating it to the redesigned version of Vantage (10.xxxx)

Symptoms

Vantage was automatically updated to version 10.xxxx (such as 10.1908.0), and some features are missing.

Diagnosis

As of August 2019, the new version of Vantage is missing the following features:

1.  Battery Gauge Reset

2.  Battery status messages including battery charger status

3.  Keyboard settings (FnLock defaults, Fn/Ctrl swap, Fn Sticky)

4.  Trackpoint settings

5.  Touchpad settings for non-precision touchpads

6.  Hardware Diagnostics

7.  Group policy settings (to control which features are shown/hidden to user)

8.  UI themes such as Employee/Personal/Home&Office

9.  Camera settings on all-in-one models

Solution

The new version of Vantage will be improved over time to add the missing features.  You can also install the Enterprise version of Lenovo Vantage to go back to the previous look-and-feel and avoid future updates.

1.  Save the following file to your PC:  Discovery_20.1908.3.0.zip

2.  From the folder where you saved the file, right-click on Discovery_20.1908.3.0.zip and choose "Extract All..."

3.  From the folder where you extracted the file in step 2, double-click on the APPXBUNDLE file (e55efa216a6d4f268b07c51d566b30d4.appxbundle)

4.  Follow the on-screen instructions to install or update the app.

Note:  the Enterprise version of Vantage is 20.xxxx, but is not in the Microsoft Store.  The version in the Microsoft Store is 10.xxxx.  The Microsoft Store will never attempt to update the Enterprise version, because 20.xxxx is greater than 10.xxxx.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
jeremiahs

Thank you for taking the time to write it up, and for your help in getting my situation sorted. I will add that in order to successfully revert back, I had to uninstall Vantage and the other components, and run the script that you wrote. For some reason simply right clicking/uninstalling didn't do the trick and components such as the new Vantage toolbar with the bogus 'security score' would still show up.

It is incredibly irresponsible of Lenovo to release a half-baked product missing a large number features, even more infuriating is that  they took the time to include numerous advertisements for McAfee, Dashlane, VPN services, and for the Legion Game Store. What makes all of this worse is that the update is forced on users.

Customers should not be burdened with the work required to revert back to an older version due to a forced, unconsented update, especially one that seems to be a beta version.

otyikondo

Yes, thanks for the input, which allowed me to restore the familiar interface, and I must agree with the previous poster that it was a bit much to lumber us with this flashy new Vantage when it was only half-finished. Hopefully we will be notified when it is ready for a proper roll-out in due course, even though I have instructed MS Store to turn off automatic updates.  

ahoellrigl

Thanks @someotherguy as well for this highly informative post. I had also faced the annoying experience that a working administrative tool named Vantage was automatically replaced by some half-finished work clogged with ads. With your help, I could revert back to version 4.27.32.0 that works just fine on my ThinkPad T410.

Nevertheless, one question remains - is it possible to suppress auto-updating not as a general setting for the store, but per individual app? In principle, I am happy to receive newer versions of apps, but with Vantage, I would prefer to be cautious, since there is no official support from Lenovo for Win10 on the T410 and each update of that tool might thus be problematic for my configuration.

I have found out that the .zip archive with "Lenovo Vantage for Enterprise" (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/hf003321) contains some .reg files like "LenovoVantage_disable_all_SystemUpdate.reg" or "LenovoVantage_disable_automatic_SystemUpdate.reg" and I just wonder whether they could do that job. Could you perhaps help here as well?

jeremiahs

The 'Enterprise' registry keys have no effect on the new version of Vantage, it doesn't respect the entries.

I am not aware of any way to stop the update, you have to manually set the updates to off in the Microsoft Store.

Once you install the older version of Vantage, read through the 'Deployment Guide' in that Enterprise zip file and it will show you how to use the Group Policy console to customize the features of Vantage (this won't work for the new Vantage either).

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to stop the Microsoft Store from updating Vantage only, but still update every other app.  This may be a better question for a Microsoft forum.  

I can tell you that we are working on something that will allow you to pick what version of Vantage you want and then keep you on that version (including updates) going forward.  Hopefully next month.

-Raphael-

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to install the old version to recover the missing features. I must admit I was quite angry when I discovered that my ThinkPad was updated to a shiny new Lenovo Vantage which was missing the Battery Gauge Reset. 

That good old "form follows function" is still a thing to me, and it applies to software as well. To me it makes no sense to publish a newer version of a software that is an upgrade regarding design but a downgrade regarding functionality. I really hope this is nothing representative for future desicions by Lenovo.

That feature to allow the user to choose which version of Vantage he wants sounds promising. Thank you again!

erik_h

I stll don't see a way to turn of intelligent power, and  the most recent zip file did NOT include a deployment guide...

jeremiahs

The deployment guide is in the Enterprise zip: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/hf003321

Jeremy_W

I have an unexpected problem with this. I removed the MS Store version of Vantage and installed the Enterprise version as per the knowledgebase instructions. All seemed fine initially but after a restart the Vantage toolbar mysteriously changed to the 'new look' and will no longer open the Enterprise version installed. Starting the Vantage app directly and looking at the version number in the MS Store reveals that the Enterprise version is indeed installed. This situation persists even after doing a full Windows reset! So basically things are completely screw*d - I can't have the enterprise version working properly in conjunction with the toolbar and the 'new version' of Vantage will not install or update from the MS Store. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

This is a Thinkpad E590 running Windows 10 Pro.

jeremiahs

@Jeremy_W

Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall Vantage, System Interface Foundation, and everything else that's part of Vantage.

Then run this script: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-Lenovo-Vantage-and-Lenov...

Reboot your system and then turn off auto update in the MSFT store, then install the enterprise version of Vantage, if you aren't sure of what you're doing, stick with the zip that's posted in this thread.

Jeremy_W

The problem still occurs after a full Windows reset, so how would that procedure help me?

jeremiahs

Just try it.

Do you mean to say that you wiped your drive and did a clean install of Windows? Because unless you did that, you haven't done a full Windows reset.

Jeremy_W

I did a Windows 10 reset choosing the option to remove everything and which performs a clean install of Windows.

jeremiahs

Okay, well that leaves a lot of residuals so try what I suggested and see if it works. If it doesn't, you haven't lost much else than a few minutes.

Good luck.

Jeremy_W

In my registry the keys that the script removes are as follows:

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Lenovo\E046963F.LenovoCompanion_k1h2ywk1493x8] - no value 

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Lenovo\ImController] - key doesn't exist.

Thanks for trying to help but I probably won't try this as I can't see that it's going to change a thing and I've fiddled with this for long enough. I'm going to do without Vantage for the time being and manage things myself without a piece of clunky software that doesn't work properly. I'm using the simple Lenovo update tool to do weekly scans for any driver & bios changes.

nken

This was so annoying, I restarted my computer find that ALL MY SETTINGS WERE WRONG.

Then I open up Vantage to find that the SETTINGS WERE GONE.

Only to come here to find that I had to install the older version.

There were SO many better ways for lenovo to do this.  Even if ads were for some reason a priority, and for some reason usability wasn't.  Previous settings COULD HAVE BEEN PRESERVED, even though they were inaccessible.

The best way was to not have even pushed this without those settings available.   Any more poor decisions like this and I will have lost my trust in lenovo.   I have switched to lenovo because so many other companies started a downhill spiral with the first decision being something JUST like this.

I hope this doesn't become a pattern of ignoring use cases, and removing user control over their own computers. Else I will be looking yet again for another brand that won't implement design decisions based on initial appearances to users, rather than actual, and long term usability.

Philo

I just had the same problem Jeremy_W had, and I followed jeremiahs' 9/7/19 post: turning off Windows Store auto-updates, uninstalling all components before using the uninstall.bat script, then rebooting and installing the Enteprise version.

The only thing I didn't follow was that I turned on auto-updating from the Microsoft Store after I was done because I presumed that the higher version number would mean that it wouldn't AutoUpdate.

Instead, it did. After a few hours of use, my battery bar got the new interface, but when I cliked on "Go To Vantage" it didn't know what to do -- it pulled up the interface to find an app from the Store. However, the old Vantage full program was still there and launchable from the Start menu. 

So, will I have to keep Microsoft Store auto-updates off even though I used the uninstall script and installed the Enteprise version of Lenovo Vantage (20.1908.3.0)?

DartanianMagnif

When Vantage 10.1908.42 was installed, my screen turned yellow. Took me a while to trace it to Vantage and to figure out that the Eye Care was On. It is On when the button says Off and Off when the button says On.  I think that Eye Care defaults to On after installation.

I went to Dashboard, under Quick Settings. Eye Care said Off. I clicked Eye Care, which then said On and the screen was White (normal) again.

So Eye Care is now in addtion to Windoze Night Light. This little option was going to cost me many hours of work and worry. (It already has cost me at least 1 hour).

I was asking myself, Is it the video driver, which had been updated 8/22/19, but had this cryptic message "Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_98E4&SUBSYS_39F917AA&REV_DA\3&2411e6fe&0&08 requires further installation." It wasn't.

I asked myself, Is it the Radeon settings? It wasn't.

Was it the monitor calibration? It wasn't

It was Vantage Eye Care. Arghhhhh!

I hate it when something is working just fine, and then it isn't. (before and after the new Vantage).

Chanakyareborn

@jeremiahs, I wish to know, how did you manage to uninstall the bloody thing completely? I hit the uninstall button and restarted the machine, when it came back online, the vantage icon was still there. Apart from the Vantage thing, what else did you delete from your machine?

jeremiahs

Go to your control panel, click uninstall programs, then remove Vantage, and Lenovo System Interface Foundation, there may be other things on your machine so it might be better for you to pm me a screenshot.

After you remove those two programs, run this script by right clicking on it and running it as an administrator: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-Lenovo-Vantage-and-Lenov...

Once that script has finished, reboot your system and that should remove all of Vantage and its dependencies.

Hope that helps!

Contributors