Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemLenovo Vantage Knowledge Base

Q&A - setting a ThinkPad battery charge threshold by script

Question

How can I set (or disable) a battery charge threshold on my ThinkPad computer without using Vantage?

Answer

It can be done in the following steps:

1.  Confirm that the Lenovo Power Manager device is installed in Device Manager -> System Devices.  This driver is installed automatically by Windows Update.  (See note below if you are deployment engineer and want to deploy the driver as part of MDT or SCCM.)

2.  Download ChargeThreshold.exe

3.  To set the charge threshold as 80%, run this command from a command prompt:  ChargeThreshold.exe on 80

4.  To disable the charge threshold:  ChargeThreshold.exe off

5.  To see more options:  ChargeThreshold.exe

Note for deployment engineers:

The Lenovo Power Manager driver can be imported into your driver store, same as the SCCM driver package.  You can get it here:  https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds541411

Was this information helpful?

Yes No

Comments

someotherguy On 2019-03-25, 23:58 PM

This is not something that I've personally done, but it should be possible to link your scripts to keyboard shortcuts that you create yourself.  https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/create-keyboard-shortcuts-windows-10

My personal opinion, based on discussions with Lenovo's battery engineers, is that the charge threshold simply doesn't matter UNLESS you use your laptop like a desktop, e.g. plugged in 24/7/365.  This is the scenario that the charge threshold was designed for.  It was definitely not designed for your scenario where you use the laptop plugged in some days and unplugged other days.  The battery is designed to be used and the scenario you described seems like perfectly normal (and common) use.  I realize a lot of people disagree with me and you can find many different opinions about Li-Ion and Li-Poly battery health on many different forums.  Just my 2 cents!

smc3 On 2019-09-11, 20:03 PM

Why is it not possible with the updated Lenovo Vantage to enable battery conservation mode on my laptop (Lenovo G50), which keeps the charge at around 60%?

I have just had to install a new version of Vantage (20.1908.3.0) because the original version (installed when I bought the machine, Lenovo G50, in 2017) suddenly refused to work.

I use my laptop plugged in almost all the time, and the older version of Vantage allowed me to enable (and disable) battery conservation, which I understand helps preserve battery life. 

I do not really want to have to engage with the complexities of ChargeThreshold.exe, and do not see why I should have to!

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Delete