Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThomasFR
Paper Tape
Views: 2,121
Message 1 of 4

Using XClarity for System X deployment : questions

Hello,

I'm considering using XClarity for System X deployment and I have some questions concerning that subject.

Firstly, before configuring the servers, I have to run a DSA (Dynamic System Analysis from Lenovo ToolsCenter Suite) on the server. Is there any way to automate this process using XClarity ?

Also, can XClarity's deployment files (example : OS images) can be stored on a remote storage (NAS) ?

Finally, could I have root access to the XClarity appliance to directly modify configuration files (ex : OS profiles) via CLI or everything must be done through the WEB interface ?

Thanks !

Thomas

Lenovo Employee BigJay
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,090
Message 2 of 4

Re: Using XClarity for System X deployment : questions

XClarity Administrator has the ability to collect Service Data from a managed endpoint which is essentially low level logs and configuration information from the system.  When you select to pull this information from an endpoint, it allows you to save a .tgz file that contains all of this information.

This can be accomoplished by performing the following:

• Select "Administration-Service and Support" from the Menu drop-down
  • Select the "Endpoint Actions" tab on this page
  • Select the System(s) that you would like to collect data from
  • Select "All Actions" drop-down or "Collect Service Data" icon from the Endpoint Actions menu bar
  • You will see a collection dialog box, and you will then be prompted for the location in which you would like to save the dignostics file

Collect Service Data.png

Also documented here:

http://flexsystem.lenovofiles.com/help/topic/com.lenovo.lxca.doc/support_collectendpointlogs.html?cp...

For your OS Deployment question, currently all OS images are stored locally on the XClarity Administrator appliance.  Allowing for images be stored on remote storage is a known requirement, and is being investigated.

For your last question around root and CLI access, please see my response to this post:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-XClarity/XClarity-appliance-root-access/td-p/3621844

ThomasFR
Paper Tape
Views: 2,070
Message 3 of 4

Hi !

Thank you for your answer, it is really helpful !

I have another question, this time about XClarity PRO licensing.

I can see that the licensing system is per-managed server based.

If I buy one licence, once I'm done managing one server, if I unmanage it from XClarity, can I use the license I purchased to manage another server ? Or one license is limited to only one specific managed server ?

Thanks !

Thomas

Lenovo Employee BigJay
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,063
Message 4 of 4

Hi:

Licensing is not strictly tied to a specific machine type and serial number.  However, the design point for XClarity Administrator is for continuous management and monitoring.  Therefore, it is normal operation to license each endpoint that you plan to manage and monitor.  Many of the key features for XClarity Administrator and XClarity Integrators that make up the XClarity Pro bundle, include inventory, status monitoring, alert forwarding, firmware updates, call home capability, and warranty tracking to name a few.  Therfefore, it is recommended that you have a continous and consistent connection between XClarity Administrator and its managed endpoints.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors