Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
halfbeing
Token Ring
Views: 799
Message 1 of 4

1 Hz ticking noise coming from right vent of Yoga 710

I have a new Yoga 710. I have just noticed a faint ticking noise coming from the right-hand vent under the screen. When I say ticking, it is a softer sound than a click, a bit like a mellow kitchen clock. The tick sticks pretty close to 1 Hz (as far as I can measure it with my ear and a metronome). I looked for a software tool to monitor the fan speed but I couldn't find one that worked on this model of computer. I hear a fan starting up sometimes, but I have read (tell me if I'm wrong) that this model has two fans, so I'm not really sure how to measure the health of the other fan. My question is: Is this a hardware problem that will require me to mail the computer back to the retailer, or is it some other problem, such as the BIOS issue mentioned here in relation to an earlier Yoga model?

Guru
Views: 777
Message 2 of 4

Re: 1 Hz ticking noise coming from right vent of Yoga 710

It seems like coil whine to me.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

halfbeing
Token Ring
Views: 744
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for replying! Does that mean that there's nothing to worry about beyond a very minor annoyance? I should add that I haven't heard the sound for the last couple of hours, so it's evidently an intermittent thing.
Guru
Views: 740
Message 4 of 4

Yup, coil whine is normal.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors