Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TakeItBack
Not applicable
Views: 256
Message 1 of 6

100% cpu and jet engine fan yoga 510

Ive just purchaced a brand new out of the box 510, after 5 mins of being on and no tasks running whatsoever it sounds like its trying to takw off. After a quick google i got the sinking feeling when i realised its a common problem with what seems to be no fix Smiley Sad

Just touching the keyboard seems to make the cpu usage shoot through the roof, i have 90% cpu usage just from going on youtube and thats without even playing a video.

Is there anything i can do? Or should i just take it back and stay well clear of lenovo? 

Also my ram is at 40% and im not even doing anything, its litearall strait out the box, nithing installed or downloading, why is so much usage going on? 

Cheers 

Doctordon
Not applicable
Views: 235
Message 2 of 6

Re: 100% cpu and jet engine fan yoga 510

Probably because it's bringing itself up to date. Windows Updates that came down since the computer was assembled...virus scanners that have never run.. all KINDS of things can ramp up new computers. 

You can use Task Manager to see what's running and consuming resources. But 5 minutes out of the box, you can bet it's just updating. Once that's done, you'll probably need to update the BIOS and drivers as those have likely been revised since the machine was assembled. I usually devote a full day to a new computer to get everything installed, updated, backed-up and imaged. Once that's all done, then I go about removing any included software I don't want. - McAfee, for instance - then I dig through the settings in Windows and other software to try to control what's running in the background and when. (I'm still annoyed I can't shut off Windows Updates and there's no notification when one is running).

If you see anything unusual or unexplained in Task Manager, let us know and we'll see if we can help. What brought me to this board in the first place was when my 910 started doing that right after a WIndows Update. In that case, it caused the Qualcomm Installer program to get stuck in a loop. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
TakeItBack
Not applicable
Views: 231
Message 3 of 6

Hi thanks for your reply, irs been on for over a day now on and off and still the same problem... the fan is constantly on high speed (im assuming because the cpu is almost at capacity) 

My task manager saying that most is being taken up by service host...

The strange thing is if i open up a browser and jist let it sit on say google for instance this seems to use up abput 30% cpu and so much disk and memory i dont understand ivw nwver had thos problem with any device before, altbough this is my first AMD Smiley Sad is it the laptop that is rubbish or the processor? I really wish i had the means to take this back i feel realky gutted..i dont know why but i really thought lenovo was a goid brand but after googling this problem it seems like they cant get any worse Smiley Sad 

What the hell is service host delivery optimization? Right now its using almost all the cpu capasity then dissapears and something else takes over and uses the whole lot..

I agree at first i thought it was just updating as it could have been built a year ago but its getting ridiculous and the sound of the fan is so loud

Any help appreciated 

Cheers Smiley Happy 

Doctordon
Not applicable
Views: 224
Message 4 of 6

Could be any number of things.. from malware to another program you have that's caught. I'd still bet Windows Update is stuck

TakeItBack
Not applicable
Views: 220
Message 5 of 6

Hi i really wish it was, 8m sure ive installed all available updates, any ideas why having internet explorer open uses so much cpu? That seems to make the fan go crazy 

Cheers 

Doctordon
Not applicable
Views: 208
Message 6 of 6

Can't help you, there. I run either Chrome or Edge. Not IE. And just because you THINK you've installed all the updates doesn't mean something isn't hanging. 

I wish you well.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors