Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

07-17-2013

United States

22 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 1 of 8

15" Macbook Pro to a Yoga 13?

2013-07-17, 5:21 AM

I'm currently thinking about selling my 15" Macbook Pro + Nexus 10 and using that money to get a Lenovo Yoga 13.

I'm a big fan of the Yoga design, and all the reviews I've seen says it's a great ultrabook first, but has great secondary uses (as a tablet, stand, etc...) too. That's exactly the type of device I want to simplify my life. I love tablet functionality for certain instances in my everyday life, but often I don't crack open my Nexus because the laptop is just easier. Also, carrying around multiple devices is a pain, I hate it. 

I've always wanted something that combined the ease of media consumption on a tablet with the ease of content-creation on a laptop. The Yoga 13 is it BUT I have a few reservations about taking the plunge:

1) I initially switched to Apple way back in 2006 with my first Macbook Pro. I loved it, best technology decision I've probably ever made. I absolutely love the ease of OSX and the seamless integration between software and hardware that only Apple can provide. 

All the crashes, lagging, stuttering, and general frustrations of a owning a PC were a thing of the past when I switched. I'm currently typing on my second Macbook Pro, which is a 2010 model. It works close to perfectly but I want something lighter, and like I said before, something with the versatility to replace both my laptop and tablet.

The problem is that I'm scared of switching back to Windows. I Boot-Camped Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro and it was okay, but still a Windows experience. OSX remains superior to that imho. What intrigues me about Windows 8 is the Metro UI, which is built for touch.

Anyone here with experience of switching from OSX back to Windows? Should I be worried?

2) I'm so used to the 15" screen. Because my laptop is my only full blown computer I've always been adamant that having a relatively large screen is a necessity. My whole life of owning laptops I've only owned 15" ones. If the Yoga had a 15" version I would have switched already, but downgrading to 13.3" worries me

3) Again, I'm so used to how great the Apple touchpad is that I'm worried about switching to something finicky in comparison. I don't want to have to think about, via frustration, navigating my computer. I fear with a finicky touchpad this would happen and get on my nerves.

4) I wonder when Haswell chips will be released on the Yoga line? Any rumors? 

5) Screen resolution. I don't own a Macbook Pro with Retina Display, but my Nexus 10 has a ridiculously amazing resolution. Since the Yoga would be replacing both devices, I want a Nexus-10/Retina type of display. I wonder if the next generation Yoga will have that.

I know this was long, so if anyone read this, thanks. And I would appreciate any guidance, especially from those that switched from Macbook Pro 15" to Yoga 13. I am seriously considering switching.

Options

48 Posts

02-07-2013

Germany

313 Signins

1452 Page Views

• Views: 1452
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: 15" Macbook Pro to a Yoga 13?

2013-07-17, 10:52 AM

I can only tell you to read through the forums. 

I would not recommend the current generation of Yoga. 

The keyboard is terrible. It is 1 piece which is losely sticked onto the chasis (with additional adhesive tape) 

Build quality is nothing compared to Macbooks. All Plastic. And after max 2-3 months you will already see the wear of using it. 

Screen Resolution is good. 

Touchpad is indeed not so good. Metro gestures are hard to pull of (compared to my other Laptops). Additionaly the touchpad is indented so you have an edge on the sides.

You should also consider that Fans are constantly running. There seems to be a workaround, but in my opinion the thermal system is badly designed/engineered.  

And worst part is customer service. Mine went 2 times into repair and the third time I got my money back, because they were not able to fix fan-noise or the lose keyboard. Hell they even tried taping the keyboard just above the RAM with double sided tape. I know Apple does much better on that regards and also way faster especially if you have an Apple Store nearby. 

Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Views: 7583
  • Message 3 of 8

2013-07-17, 14:52 PM

While it is probably true that every laptop has a few online treads filled with complaints...the Yoga seems to be special in this regard.

Check out the 'fan noise' and 'wireless issues' threads before you get a Yoga. My advice: don't buy right now, wait until the Haswell version and see if the fan and wireless are improved.

Or, if you have to buy now, do what I did and get a cheap one on the Outlet so that when you aren't happy with it, at least you can console yourself with the fact that it was inexpensive.

Options

7 Posts

07-17-2013

United States

22 Signins

106 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2013-08-12, 4:03 AM

Update:

Thanks for your replies guys. I took your advice into consideration but I decided to pull the trigger and buy the Yoga 13 afterall. I just purchased the i7 version + 256 SSD off ebay. I went the Lenovo refurbished route and got it for $899.

I wanted to hold out and wait until the refresh with Haswell goodness and maybe even a thinner and lighter design but I felt this was a solid opportunity to get an i7 (never had one before) with a good amount of harddrive space for my needs for a relatively cheap price. It didn't help my patience that there are absolutely zero credible rumors of the Yoga 13 out there, which is astonishing to me. It's just a wasteland of silence that I started to get the impression a refresh is a ways away. I would expect there to be at least something out there if a refresh is supposed to be released this holiday season. October is only 2 months away afterall.

I'm crossing my fingers that I don't get the wi-fi issues with the machine when it arrives but we shall see I suppose. At the end of the day if the refresh is so mindblowingly amazing I may just end up selling the i7 version for a decent price and upgrading again. I ended up selling my Nexus 10 for $311 and I put that towards this purchase. So to me it's basically like only paying $588 for the Yoga 13.

I can temporarily eat that cost until I sell my Macbook Pro, which I hope to get $700 (or more) out of.

Anyway, frankly I'm excited to be back on the Windows side of things, I'm actually a fan of the Windows 8 touchscreen capabilities and UI. And suddenly Apple seems like the boring, stagnant, company.

Cheers.

Options

25 Posts

03-11-2013

Puerto Rico

60 Signins

374 Page Views

• Views: 374
  • Message 5 of 8

2013-08-14, 16:17 PM

If I could go back in time, I'd slap myself the instant I walked into Best Buy to buy one.
It's definitely a great PC, but it's just so unstable and bleeding edge it's bug-ridden

Options

7 Posts

07-17-2013

United States

22 Signins

106 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2013-08-14, 18:13 PM

I really hope I don't regret my decision. I've read quite a bit about all the problems and the main thing I am worried about is the now-infamous wifi issues. It seems that it affects a lot of units but not all as some people report no issues whatsover.

Also, I originally ordered a new i5 unit but went with a refurbished i7 so hopefully I can a) get something that's a bit more future proof and b) if I do need to sell it I can get more back for it to put towards the 2nd generation Yoga 13. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, but I may eventually purchase the updated Haswell version when all the problems will be addressed I'm sure.

Options

38 Posts

06-15-2013

United Kingdom

101 Signins

440 Page Views

• Views: 440
  • Message 7 of 8

2013-08-14, 18:47 PM
I use both a Yoga 13 and a MacBook Pro 13" with Retina and would say although Windows 8 and the Yoga is not bad it is not as good as the experience on the MacBook. I find the constant fan noise an unnecessasary distraction, as the MacBook remains silent almost all the time. The display is nice on the Yoga but can't match that of the MacBook. The dual band WiFi in the MacBook beats the single band Yoga hands down.

The Yoga is just too big to use often as a tablet therefore the MackBook is the better option for most tasks. A second hand Yoga will not command anything like the money you will get for a MacBook so unless you really need a Windows machine I can't see the draw to the Yoga.

As Windows laptops goes the Yoga is nice but the touchscreen is more a gimmick than a essential item. The Apple option may seem stale due to your familiarity but it the changes are worthwhile without being a gimmick. The frequent and cheap OS X refreshes keep the Macs looking good and the who user experience is smooth and assured. (Generally Windows 8 is better than it has ever been but still has some head scratching frustrating moments, which are fewer and farther apart with OS X.)

If I were you and could cancel my order I would and then buy a MacBook Pro of Air, depending on your needs. If you need a touchscreen device buy an iPad!
Options

7 Posts

07-17-2013

United States

22 Signins

106 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2013-08-17, 23:21 PM

Thanks for your response. I'm going to post a little review of the Yoga now that I've had it for a few days:

My Yoga 13 arrived a few days ago and at first I was seriously considering just selling it and trying to purchase a newer Macbook (Air or Pro). But I'm getting used to this laptop (which I'm using now, haven't even opened my macbook since this arrived - still need to sell it though).

Here are a few of my issues (similar to watch you described):

NEGATIVES:

1) As I feared the touchpad is significantly inferior to the Apple touchpads. I have yet to run into a single Windows laptop that matches the quality of Apple's touchpads. It's not even close, and getting used to this subpar touchpad is very frustrating

2) As I also feared, the 13.3 screen size is a bit too small for my taste, but the benefit of a smaller laptop is that the reducation in weight is incredible. I'm loving the lightness of this ultrabook. To overcome this annoying screen-size I'll probably purchase an external monitor (18-20") and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. That way I get the benefits not using this tiny thing when home trying to get significant amounts of work done, and also the benefits of portability when I want to head to the coffee shop, or just need to bring my laptop with me somewhere

3) The highly touted 10-point touch is definetely not as responsive as it should be - especially in desktop mode. I keep getting frustrated by certain taps not registering, especially on Chrome (i.e. switching tabs).

4) The Windows store is bleaker and more barron than I even thought it would be. It's downright embarassing, and annoying as hell that pretty much every app I'm used to using is no where to be found on the Windows store (at least not official versions). The Mac app store I only used occasionally (because i mostly used websites) but Windows 8 is built around live-tiles and beautiful applications so it relies more on applications then website use imho. 

An expample of a superb Windows 8 app is the official Twitter app. That is a beautiful, fast, high-quality application that I wish Facebook, LinkedIn, and others could emulate.

5) I am getting some Wi-Fi issues as I feared. This is probably the most glaring (and infamous) issue with this laptop. But it's only 5 down on my list because by-and-large the issue only pops up sporadically. More or less I'm getting the same experience I got on my Macbook Pro (with occasional, explicable outages that last for a few seconds). It's very annoying and I'm going to look up fixes, but it's not as frequent/bad as it was made out to be, at least for my uses. 

6) No backlight is kind of a bummer but w/e

7) Major annoyance is the stupidity (imho) of the inverse-scrolling on the touchpad. I use two-finger scroll all the **bleep** time and I hate whenever stuff is inverse. I can't stand it at all. Inverse gaming controls are the bane of my existence and I always have to immediately switch them to normal settings. This is no different. Worst part is it seems there is no simple solution to this problem in Windows 8 unless I haven't found it yet. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated btw

So those are the negatives I've encountered, but here are the positives, which make me overlook the negatives:

POSITIVES 

1) IT'S NOT HOT. Oh man this is a HUGE deal to me because my Macbook Pro (despite doubling the RAM to 8gigs AND installing a 256 SSD) always ran HOT HOT HOT. I could never keep it on my lap for more than 2-3minutes and I mostly use my laptops on my lap. This can get hot too but it takes MUCH MUCH longer. And when it does finally become unbearable I simply change the thing into stand mode (so the hot side is now pointing upward and the screen is closer to me) or flip it to tablet mode. 

2) Versaility is exactly what I've been looking for. As many have said, the concept is genius but the execution on this 1st generation is not amazing. I generally agree with that, but compared to my three year old Macbook, which I have upgraded as much as I could, this feels like a better laptop. 

3) The feel of the laptop. No this isn't a Macbook in terms of quality, and I fully expect to get the general PC annoyances like loose-hinges, wobbliness, etc... that you always get with PCs. But having said that, I'm loving the softtouch feel of the inside and outside of the Yoga. It's easy to grip in all modes.

4) Once I got used to the small keyboard I've got to say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how good this PC keyboard is. I used to own a Thinkpad way back in the day so I know their keyboards are legendary, but I think Apple largely matched them (at least on Laptops). So I was a bit worried migrating back to Lenovo but my worries were unfounded.

5) Touch touch touch touch. I do not believe this to be a gimmick at all, especially in this form-factor with turning into a tablet. I could see the the touchscreen feeling like a gimmick on a regular laptop as I don't find myself using touch all that much when I'm just using the device as a regular laptop. But once you flip it into stand-mode, or tablet mode, it's was defines the device (for good or ill). I love the touch-experience of WIndows 8 (aside from the occasionally impreciseness mentioned in the negatives section). I was just at Starbucks today with the laptop and I naturally shift a lot in my chair, and with a normal Laptop I'd have to make sure I found a table to sit at, or I'd have to awkwardly put the computer into a position to accomodate my shiftiness. Well this time around, once I naturally wanted to cross my leg I simply changed the Yoga into a cross between tablet/stand-mode and continued working. It was seamless and one of the reason I wanted this laptop in the first lace.

6) Compared to my Mac, the battery life on this is superior. And battery has never been my primary concern. As long as it can last 3-4 hours then I'm fine, and this does that (and some).

7) i7. As I mentied before, I've never owned an i7 process orbefore. So the fact that this is a 3rd generation (as opposed to the 1st generation i5 I had in my Macbook Pro) means I feel like this is future-proof to a level I wouldn't feel comfortable saying if I had purchased just a Yoga with an i5 processor. If I ever do experience slowdowns I'll just double the ram to 8gigs and I'm sure I'll be fine.

8) I was always a fan of Magsafe because it gave me a peace-of-mind BUT truthfully it was never needed for me. I am extremely careful person and have never once tripped over my laptop cord (or anyone elses) or even dropped my smartphone. This brings me to the Lenovo charge-system, which I gladly give up Magsafe for. This Yoga 13 has good battery life (as I said) but what makes the non-Haswell battery-life even more of a non-issue is the fact that this laptop can fully charge in about an hour (not exaggerating). It was down to 10% battery about 40 minutes ago, I plugged it in and now it's already at 70% charge. That's unheard of in my experience, and truly remarkable. And the actual powerbrick is so tiny; it's smaller and lighter than my cellphone (Galaxy Note 2). This is an awesome "feature" of this laptop.

So, while Windows is never going to be OSX in terms of ease-of-use, simplicity, fluidity, etc...I do actually like how Windows 8 metro-UI functions, especially when using touch. There are a lot of things about OSX and my Macbook I'll miss, but I feel like overtime I'll get reacclimated to Windows again. 

I'm going to give myself another 2-3 weeks with this and see how it holds up once novelty wears off. I also want to see how much better I'll like the experience with a bluetooth keyboard + mouse, and possibly an external monitor (if I can find the funds for that right now). Because I have a feeling those three things will solve all the problems I have with this device. 

Finally, I am still excited to see what the 2nd generation of Yoga will be like. I want to see even thinner, lighter, and smaller bezels. While Haswell will be nice, since the primary improvements with that processor are battery life that's not even the biggest thing I want to see in a 2nd generation. If the 2nd generation Yoga ends up addressing a lot of my concerns I may try and sell this and upgrade to that version a few months from now. Oh yeah, and wi-fi issues need to be addressed for sure in the 2nd version.

wrote:
I use both a Yoga 13 and a MacBook Pro 13" with Retina and would say although Windows 8 and the Yoga is not bad it is not as good as the experience on the MacBook. I find the constant fan noise an unnecessasary distraction, as the MacBook remains silent almost all the time. The display is nice on the Yoga but can't match that of the MacBook. The dual band WiFi in the MacBook beats the single band Yoga hands down.

The Yoga is just too big to use often as a tablet therefore the MackBook is the better option for most tasks. A second hand Yoga will not command anything like the money you will get for a MacBook so unless you really need a Windows machine I can't see the draw to the Yoga.

As Windows laptops goes the Yoga is nice but the touchscreen is more a gimmick than a essential item. The Apple option may seem stale due to your familiarity but it the changes are worthwhile without being a gimmick. The frequent and cheap OS X refreshes keep the Macs looking good and the who user experience is smooth and assured. (Generally Windows 8 is better than it has ever been but still has some head scratching frustrating moments, which are fewer and farther apart with OS X.)

If I were you and could cancel my order I would and then buy a MacBook Pro of Air, depending on your needs. If you need a touchscreen device buy an iPad!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms