cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 616
Message 1 of 6

720 13 motherboard replacement

My nephew had a motherboard replacement done under warranty at microcenter.  In the past on my Thinkpads that had motherboard replacements done they always had to program in the serial number and model number in to the new motherboard via i think the hardware maintenance disk.  I told my nephew to go into BIOS after the repair to confirm its been updated.  While at microcenter he booted to BIOS and the serial number is not available and the model number is not available.  The technician claims they cant update that info per my nephew.  I just called microcenter myself in case my nephew misunderstood.  They told me the same thing.  He said for the Ideapads that the model number and serial numbers are programmed by Lenovo and they cant update at the repair shops?  Is that correct?  He said only way to fix the serial number and model number is to ship to Lenovo?  Again i only buy thinkpads and on my thinkpads they just use the hardware maintenance disk to update that info.  Is it different for Ideapads?

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 610
Message 2 of 6

Re: 720 13 motherboard replacement

If the microcenter is an authorized Lenovo warranty service center, they should have the utility needed to set those values properly in the BIOS.   

I had a motherboard replaced on my desktop, and the tech sent by Lenovo (he was not actually a Lenovo employee) had the tool to set the BIOS values on a USB thumbdrive.

Sending it to Lenovo to complete a their warranty service centers should have done in the fist place would not be acceptable to me, so I would call Lenovo and ask them to send over one of their on-site technicians to set those values, or recommend a local Lenovo service/warranty center that is fully capable of repairing their systems.

Best of luck,

Guru
Views: 605
Message 3 of 6

Thats what i thought.  I asked them if they were authorized repair shop.  They said yes.  Plus since they fixed the laptop under warranty i thought they would be able to update the info.  I talked to 3 different people and all 3 said they dont do that onsite.  I'll call Lenovo for my nephew.  By the way this is the Microcenter in Westbury.

thanks!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Guru
Views: 439
Message 4 of 6

I got busy and didnt get a chance to call support again until yesterday.  When i called Lenovo support they said microcenter should have updated the model id and serial number at point of repair.  However since it wasnt done at that point in time my nephew has to send in the laptop to depot.  I asked if i upgraded to onsite would they fix onsite.  The support person said no.  As of now laptop works but Vantage does not ever find software to update.  I think its looking for either the serial number or the model number of the laptop and since its missing it wont ever find software that needs updating.  I called Westbury microcenter and they still wont budge.  I asked Lenovo support agent to call microcenter and he said he cant do that.  What a pain to have to send in a laptop to depot for such a simple thing.  Any other idea?  

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 433
Message 5 of 6

I agree, you should not have to risk or be inconvenienced by sending your laptop into the depot for something so easy to fix

I would let the Westbury Microcenter decide whether they want to complete the job, or be reported to the Better Business Bureau.    I would also post an online reviews of your experience with Microcenter Westbury to Facebook, Google Reviews etc., because sometimes you have to make some noise to get large companies to do their job.   

Another avenue would be to go over the Westbury stores head and send it directly to Micro Centers headquarters either by snail mail, or via their online page linked below.

Micro Center
4119 Leap Road
Hilliard, Ohio 43026

http://www.microcenter.com/site/customer-support/contact-us.aspx

If Microcenter continues to refuse, and Lenovo cannot get its own authorized service centers to complete the job, you should request that Lenovo to send one of its onsite technicians to do that at your home etc, because the job will take but a minute to complete, and in the end it is Lenovo's responsibility to ensure that their warranty repairs are done correctly and to your satisfaction.

Best of luck,  

Guru
Views: 403
Message 6 of 6

Update.  On 5/10/18 Microcenter calls up my nephew and tells him that Lenovo contacted them and told them they could update model/serial number and provided them instructions on how to do it.  Nephew takes laptop to Microcenter on 5/11/18 in the morning.  That afternoon Microcenter says the instructions are not working.  Told nephew they are trying to reach Lenovo for help in why its not updating.  After that they said he has 2 choices.  They can order a motherboard replacement or send to lenovo for updating.  My nephew ended taking back laptop since its time for finals at school and needs his laptop.  I have never seen/heard of this much problems updating a serial number/model number on a laptop before.

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors