Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcuscent
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,086
Message 1 of 9

910 - no display on external monitor

I just can't get my Yoga 910 to display anything on my external monitor. I purchased a 4k usb-c to HDMI adapter [sandberg] and plugged it into the correct port. The white one at the front. Tried to then duplicate the display but nothing happens on the external monitor. I really need this to work as I spend most of my date at my desk and rely on an external image. What can I do?

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,976
Message 2 of 9

Re: 910 - no display on external monitor

Welcome to the forum.

Yoga 910 Platform Specifications indicates that both HDMI and VGA dongles are available but does not give part numbers. Perhaps you could call Lenovo and get an adapter that's been tested with the Y910.

In this thread Yoga 910 USB-C Adapters user PhilipHendry says, "I've used this Dell USB-C to HDMI Adaptor and it works perfectly with the 4K monitor at 30hz I've got a work." Other posters on that thread report problems with other brands of adapters. It seems that the Y910 is particularly finiky about this. 

Community Moderator
Views: 2,965
Message 3 of 9

I have the Trendnet adapter connected to a 1080p set and it worked right out of the box.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,958
Message 4 of 9

@hausman wrote:

Yoga 910 Platform Specifications indicates that both HDMI and VGA dongles are available but does not give part numbers. Perhaps you could call Lenovo and get an adapter that's been tested with the Y910.

SUPPORT above, enter Yoga 910, Documentation, Accessories "show more", check "Monitor Cable (DVI, HDMI, VGA)" : Lenovo USB-C to HDMI Adapter  option part numbers at the bottom of the page.

I haven't tried one personally.  I do have a non-Lenovo adapter that works on a '900.  Will test on the '910 when I get home from vacation.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

LinMinn
Paper Tape
Views: 2,920
Message 5 of 9

Re: (Solution) 910 - no display on external monitor

I had the same problem with a new Yoga 910 I just purchased, but had success with this workaround....

I started with a Targus VersaLik Universal Travel Dock connected and it wouldn't recognize the external drive at all. I swapped that for an Insignia USB-C to HDMI adapter and it recognized the monitor, but I had constant flashing every few seconds. I swapped the USB-C HDMI for for an Apple brand USB-C VGA Multiport adapter and connected an old VGA cable....works beautifully. (I didn't try an Apple USB-C to HDMI adapter because the store I was at didn't happen to have one in stock, so I went with the Apple USB-C VGA. No idea why Apple works when nothing else does, but at least it's working.

marcuscent
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,906
Message 6 of 9

I'm still not getting anywhere with this. I purchased my 2nd USB-C to HDMI adapater. A Cable Creations model on the basis that it seemed to have been mentioned here as one that worked. I still have nothing on my external monitor. Does anyone fromm Lenovo have advice as to why this is such a problem? I really need to use an external monitor. I will need to return the unit if this does not work. Thanks

MCJ
Paper Tape
Views: 2,893
Message 7 of 9

I had a similar issue using: 

OWC USB-C Dock

LG 24UD58 4K Monitor

C2g High speed HDMI cable.

When I plugged it in I would get the screen flash as it reconfigured dsplays  - but nothing else.

After much fiddling with display ports and USB adapters I tried the HDMI again and came upon this solution:

• I installed the Win 10 driver for the monitor and that got the 2nd screen recognised (though I couldn't apply settings or display to it.)
  • Then I dropped the resolution of the Laptop screen to 1080p and extended my desktop - the 2nd screen popped right up. When I looked both screens had then set themselves to 3840x2160 .

My original intention was to drop the resolution just in case the display driver was having trouble driving 2 4k displays then ramp it back up once the screen was recognised properly - and it seems to have worked for me...

The last thing to try would be to get something like an EZCast 4k and turn the monitor into a miracast device and connect wirelessly. (Or check if your monitor already supports Miracast or Widi).

marcuscent
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,872
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for these suggestions. I tried installing a driver for Win10 but that didn't work. I even went to my local electronics shop and asked them to show me my Yoga working with their 4k monitors. The shop staff were completely baffled. They tried 3 monitors and 2 more USBC to HDMI adapters. They gave up. This is really frustrating now. Is it impossible to get an external display from a Yoga 910? Someone has suggested an Apple adpater. Is it this one - http://www.apple.com/ae/shop/product/MJ1K2ZM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter. If so, is this worth trying?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,866
Message 9 of 9

I hate to be redundant, but as I said upthread, the Trendnet device worked beautifully right out of the box with my 1080p TV (I don't have a UHD set, but the specs state it works with them). Plugged it in and it worked.  That's after I bought and returned a Mokin that did not work. So,  you can keep trying other ones if you like, but I think the better move would be to go with one confirmed as working. KMiles has a thread going on various USB-C devices that work and don't work. Might be worth bookmarking so you don't waste more time buying gadgets that won't work. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors