03-12-2020

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 8

Activating camera causes windows to crash

2020-03-12, 16:21 PM

Hi everyone, I've been working for a couple hours now trying to get the integrated camera on my yoga laptop to work. I'm running windows 10, and I've tried everything in other threads I could find. Let me walk you through my process and maybe somebody can figure out what is going on.

First of all, when I open the windows 10 camera app, it flickers between these two error messages, and the light next to my webcam flashes on and off at about the same rate. 

After this I went into the windows 10 device manager program. Initially there was no camera listed, but I refreshed it several times while the camera app was still open, and one of the times the menu camera showed up. Using this menu I checked the drivers for the camera "EasyCamera", and they were up to date.

After this I checked the privacy settings for the camera in the Lenovo Vantage app. Sure enough, the camera privacy mode was activated, but I couldn't turn it off. When I clicked the camera privacy mode toggle I just got an eternal loading circle.

Then I updated Lenovo Utilities, and then uninstalled it because apparently everything has been migrated over to Lenovo Vantage. After uninstalling the Lenovo Utilities program I was able to turn off privacy mode on the camera in Lenovo Vantage.

Now when I open Lenovo vantage sometimes the camera can be seen in the Quick Settings menu, and sometimes it isn't there. The camera displays as on when privacy mode is off, and off when privacy mode is on as expected. However, the camera still doesn't work. 

However, when the camera is shown as on it causes major problems with apps that try to use the camera. If use the F8 key to turn on the camera when the windows 10 camera app is open, the entire computer crashes. Furthermore, if the camera is active when I open the camera app, the computer also crashes. It seems more likely to happen if another program like Chrome is open at the time. If the camera is turned off, the camera app flashes the same two error messages that it did before.

Does anyone have any ideas about what may be happening. The camera also doesn't work when linux is installed on the machine instead of windows 10, but this crashing issue seems to imply it's a software issue, not a hardware one.

Options

1 Posts

05-25-2020

GB

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Activating camera causes windows to crash

2020-05-25, 9:42 AM

I had almost identical symptoms.  I believe I have fixed it, but giving it a week or two to be sure.  It was linked to a change to the Hotkeys settings.  Until about Jan/Feb I didn't have to press Fn key to use e.g. F2/F3 volume up/down.  Around then something changed and I had to press Fn every time to use one of the Function or 'Hotkeys'.  I noticed the F8 camera hotkey was intermittently failing to toggle Camera on/off.  This was the fix......

By default, the hotkey functions are accessible by pressing the appropriate hotkey. However, you can disable the hotkey mode in the BIOS setup utility. To disable the hotkey mode:

1 Shut down the computer.

2 Press the Novo button (tiny hole next to headphone jack on yoga 710) and then select BIOS Setup.

3 In the BIOS setup utility, open the Configuration menu, and change the setting of HotKey Mode from Enabled to Disabled.

4 Open the Exit menu, and select Exit Saving Changes.    

Options

1 Posts

07-01-2020

US

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 8

2020-07-01, 18:55 PM

How does the hotkey setting cause the system to crash?   Did this work?  Steps on a yoga 11e 20d9 not the same i think.

Options

1 Posts

07-27-2020

ZA

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2020-07-27, 8:13 AM

Hi there

did you find a solution to the problem as my wife has a very similar problem. She can use an external webcam but not the built-in device.

Your help wuld be appreciated

thanks you

Options

1 Posts

09-14-2020

CA

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 8

2020-09-14, 17:45 PM

I am seeing the same issue with our Thinkpad Yoga 12. When we try to access the webcam in anyway the whole system crashes to a blue screen. Windows 10 (2004)Webcam driver v3.5.7.19

I did recently flash the BIOS to the latest and did not have this issue previously. This rebuild of the laptop is on a newer version of Windows 10. 

Options

39 Posts

02-15-2018

US

40 Signins

315 Page Views

• Views: 315
  • Message 6 of 8

2020-09-15, 12:40 PM

I have a plain 11e.

I installed Windows 10 v2004 and updated with all the Windows 10 updates.

I then installed the Camera driver : https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n15ct06w.exe

The driver is dated 2015.

The webcam caused Windows 10 to crash.

Then I Googled 'Lenovo SunplusIT webcam driver' and the first link was : https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds035945/

I installed it.

No more crashes.

But it looks like the Yoga 12 webcam is made by different company.

See if there is a newer Intel chipset driver on Intel's website.

Options

1 Posts

10-22-2020

GB

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2020-10-22, 16:49 PM

Just started have this issue. Whenever I tried to run the camera whether through zoom or windows camera app, the PC would crash with that blue screen.

Tried updating drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail,

Just solved it for me by via the device manager, find the camera, then clicking on Properties. Within Properties, selected the Driver tab, then "Roll Back Driver". 

See image of resulting Driver properties.

Options

1 Posts

10-25-2020

AU

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2020-10-25, 1:20 AM

same thing

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete